Trusted Contributor

I need to work on "Building a Wardrobe" instead of buying just pieces.

I always hear Susan Graver talk about "Building Wardrobes." She talks about this all the time. I just realized that I need to do that. 

I always seem to buy single items such as tops (especially tops) and sweaters ect. and I don't give these purchases enough thought of how they will fit into my wardrobe. I already have lots of tops, but they are seem alike so I am "splitting my wears." I need to stop doing this. 

So this Fall I am not going to buy anything until I see how it will fit into my wardrobe and to really restrain myself on buying tops (tees) that are basically the same one over and over again. This is something that I really need to do.

Also, I need to make sure that I don't buy anything that is for a life that I don't lead. I work at home now. I don't need more than a couple of work clothes in case I need them. It is so hard to do this when you see a blouse or something that you would love to wear, but don't have any where to wear them. I imagine that alot of women feel this way about their wardrobes.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: I need to work on "Building a Wardrobe" instead of buying just pieces.

My lifestyle changed minimalist style. If I showed you my small amount of clothes you would wonder what does she wear?!? Truth is hardly wear majority of the items. Love easy sun dresses. Not into structure or ornate. One piece dressing my go to uniform. By the way, Amazon sells Jockey slip short (light weight version) more comfortable than the original purchased here on Qvc. Nice under all my dresses. Now! If online dating could be this easy peasy.💁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I always hear Susan Graver talk about "Building Wardrobes." She talks about this all the time. I just realized that I need to do that. 

I always seem to buy single items such as tops (especially tops) and sweaters ect. and I don't give these purchases enough thought of how they will fit into my wardrobe. I already have lots of tops, but they are seem alike so I am "splitting my wears." I need to stop doing this. 

So this Fall I am not going to buy anything until I see how it will fit into my wardrobe and to really restrain myself on buying tops (tees) that are basically the same one over and over again. This is something that I really need to do.

Also, I need to make sure that I don't buy anything that is for a life that I don't lead. I work at home now. I don't need more than a couple of work clothes in case I need them. It is so hard to do this when you see a blouse or something that you would love to wear, but don't have any where to wear them. I imagine that alot of women feel this way about their wardrobes.

@Squirrel Lover

Years ago ... that was my problem.  I had all these miscellaneous things that didn't work with anything else in the closet. 

Then in 1997, I got a copy of Linda Dano's book:  Looking Great.   (You can still find used copies at Amazon.)

Get yourself a copy of the book ... 

Trusted Contributor

I am saying this because I am currently ready The Curated Closet by Anushka Rees who has a blog called "Into Mind." I am almost finished reading it an I can see that it is written for me!

I have donated all of my clothing that I don't want and doesn't fit and now I need to just wear what I have until the end of September. Then I will take out everything from last fall and winter and see what I have and to what I can do do make what I have work better. This book is helping me to think about my purchases hard. It is not easy to look at oneself when you know you musst change, but it is so easy to just do what you always do! 

I have not bought any new clothes for four weeks. It is not easy since I love QVC, but I am doing it. Next week Denim & Co. will have a TSV and some new items, I am sure. I need to make sure that I only buy something if it goes with what I already have. 

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel LoverI think you're onto the secret   The more you can think in terms of a wardrobe for the life you actually lead, the better you'll feel, the better you'll look, and the more you'll save. All those clothes hanging in my closet, but not getting worn -  might as well burn the dollars.

I've heard SG talk about wardrobe building often and she's right.  We need to build a wardrobe and then add only a few pieces as we need or really want them.  It's hard, especially with so much available so easily, but I'm working at it, too.

One of my worst sins is buying multiples of tops just because they're on sale, and then none of them get worn enough before I'm tired of them.  We're not alone -  the now-retired owner of a consignment shop I loved said her clients had far too many tops, so she could be very particular about what she'd accept to sell. 

Honored Contributor

My motto is if it doesn't go with my jeans and boots then I don't need it. The only time I will make an exception is when I need to buy something for a special occasion and in this case it's usually a head-to-toe shopping event, not many of these tg. I'm 62 and retired.

Trusted Contributor

I have a ton of clothes, but everything goes with everything. I don't buy trendy and stick to basics in both color and structure. I am still trying to pare down to much less because I just don't want to have so much "stuff". I dread the day I need to move.

I do occasionally buy a "trendy" piece, but never anything over the top and everything goes with black Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

One of the best dressed women I ever worked with claimed you should almost never buy a "piece"   .....  when you shop, buy a complete outfit, even if you are putting together separates.   My mother was a fashion model before she married, and she used to do the same thing.

What good is it to buy a "piece" then get it home and think "now what?".     Works for me, anyway.

Honored Contributor

I don't do a lot of patterns so matching in my wardrobe isn't really a concern. I am going through and 'relieving' myself of things I just don't reach for ...

I enjoy fashion too much to survive on a capsule collection; I just wont do it! (and you can't make me!)

Woman Wink