Honored Contributor

Re: High prices on everything

It's nearly always in department store.  Good quality merchandise, jeans made in the U.S., leather goods, natural fibers, leather shoes, belts, etc. all start at least $150.00.  Sweaters average $250.00 (on sale) to $450.00

You can find cheap, but cheap products everywhere else. From artificial fibers to constantly updated eletronic equipment.  Old Navy, Gap, J.C. Penny, etc.  The far east sends boats loads of them.  China is becoming wealthier with a growing middle class.  They have to jack up their prices to keep competitive.  So more and more are from Yemen, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess Agree.....I haven't seen any thing upscale in a long time.  Denim&Co does offer some fair prices but..........Gary keeps coming out with camp shirts - granny prints and horrible color combinations or flutter sleeves (Please).  Susan G  continues with her wild ideas and wild prints.  California Tees with slogan = that's another chapter unto itself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird -maybe these prices at Neiman Marcus? Nordstrom?

I don't know, I don't see these prices.

At any rate, I don't see high prices in some store as a defense for QVC's over the top prices. Most of their clothing and home items are just average, the same as anyone can find in many stores with $10-15 vs QVC's $50-70 for yes a t-shirt or pants etc.

I honestly do not know who they are trying to appeal to.

Maybe some think they are getting above quality and just like to see it on tv, then click and buy and are not able to get to stores.

So there is the advantage I guess of seeing it live on a model.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed higher prices on some items here, and at other retailers, and am thankful for the easy pay, sales, and clearance options. As much as I love to shop, my wallet is thankful as well.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird The off shore manufacturers ....a reason for the screwy sizes we get.  Many Asian countries consist of very short people - I have a relative who has been teaching in Japan for 3 years............He is like 6'3" and wife is UP there too.  Picture that in your mind's eye...........probably 8 countries making our clothes - we have hips & other "embelishments'.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay  I'm a Nordstrom shopper.  You usually won't see this at Macy.  Macy is more a discount place.  Tons of imported stuff from Asia.  Department stores have always been different.  Some are high end, some not so. 

Only 10% of clothing is made in the U.S.  Unions have driven the prices too high.  Up until the 1970's, U.S  made the clothing. Things changed rapidly.  Artificial fabric replaced natural fabric.  But even then, working in a clothing factory was hard, poorly paid labor.  Cheap immigrant labor was what you usually found then.  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt   Glad somebody bought that up!  Yes indeed.  They are smaller with fine bones.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For me it isn't the prices that bother me, I'll spend that and more on certain labels in certain stores, it's paying these prices on a shopping channel!

It's not that there aren't those lines that are perfectly adequate but nothing has been exceptional....

Honored Contributor

Think of it as an opportunity to save your money. I bet you already have a closet of beautiful clothes. 

Honored Contributor

I'm seeing brands on QVC that are way overpriced.  OMRON priced at around $100 is selling elsewhere in the $50 to $60 range.  Same for Nearly Natural and others.  

Yes, I'm seeing higher prices for QVC's designers, but do the increases warrant those prices.  Are they better quality? I can understand an increase...everything goes up, but some are too much.  I don't have the confidence quality is better for the amount some products have been increased.