Super Contributor

Re: Hey Susan, it's NOT "lenth"

On 3/5/2015 VCamp2748 said:

Yay! Somebody finally agreed with OP{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Okay, I almost spit my soda onto the keyboard, lol!, thanks for the laugh!!!
Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 handygal said: If you want a tutorial on a New Yawk accent, tune in to Joy Mangano next time she's on HSN. Another one who's laughing all the way to the bank, accent and all!

As a native NYer, I don't think we have an accent.

But - New Jersey (anywhere), Philadelphia, Cleveland, anywhere in the south ... those are accents! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 VCamp2748 said:

Yay! Somebody finally agreed with OP{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I really have NO IDEA about length or lenth.

So, my opinion is strictly MINE.

Hyacinth Wink

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Kathleen said:
On 3/5/2015 handygal said: If you want a tutorial on a New Yawk accent, tune in to Joy Mangano next time she's on HSN. Another one who's laughing all the way to the bank, accent and all!

But - New Jersey (anywhere), Philadelphia, Cleveland, anywhere in the south ... those are accents! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

{#emotions_dlg.lol} I agree with you, Brooklyn-ite/LI'er here!!!

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 ibb38 said:
On 3/5/2015 Kathleen said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol} I agree with you, Brooklyn-ite/LI'er here!!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

On 3/5/2015 hyacinth003 said:

There ARE regional accents, alternative pronunciations, and there is WRONG!

Wondering if saying "impordant" instead of "important" falls into alternative pronunciation? Since there is no "d" in the word, I may call it a regional WRONG pronunciation!

There are WRONG ways to pronounce things. My fingernails on chalkboard is EMEL for email, felure for failure, avelable for available, etc.

I have heard people of both genders, all races, and every region MISPRONOUNCE the "ai" sound and replace it with an "e." My theory remains that it is lazy speech.

It may be hard for some to acknowledge, but there are some things that are just WRONG.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

And how about Dooney and Bourke's Ashley pronouncing cotton as "ca en".

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Wondering if saying "impordant" instead of "important" falls into alternative pronunciation? Since there is no "d" in the word, I may call it a regional WRONG pronunciation!

There are WRONG ways to pronounce things. My fingernails on chalkboard is EMEL for email, felure for failure, avelable for available, etc.

I have heard people of both genders, all races, and every region MISPRONOUNCE the "ai" sound and replace it with an "e." My theory remains that it is lazy speech.

It may be hard for some to acknowledge, but there are some things that are just WRONG.

You forgot when a certain vendor selling caramel apples, says carmel every time she is on air. Like nails on a chalkboard. However, I guess in the scheme of things it is minor...

If someone really wants to lose a regional accent, they can go to speech classes to lose it. I take it Susan Graver likes her accent and has no desire to speak without it.

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 redngold said:

And how about Dooney and Bourke's Ashley pronouncing cotton as "ca en".

I have heard others do that somehow too. And it occurs in words that don't seem difficult to pronounce either.

Maybe it's a speech difficulty of some sort.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 terrier3 said:

It is if you have a NYC accent!

What? I'm a born and raised NYer and I don't say ""lenth""---you are completely wrong there.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

You forgot when a certain vendor selling caramel apples, says carmel every time she is on air. Like nails on a chalkboard. However, I guess in the scheme of things it is minor...

If someone really wants to lose a regional accent, they can go to speech classes to lose it. I take it Susan Graver likes her accent and has no desire to speak without it.

Was listening to the radio yesterday afternoon. A male host kept saying EMEL to the point I had to turn it off!!!

I just can't understand how the "ai" sound got twisted around to an "e" sound. It is FAIRLY recent to my notice.

I don't know if it is just me, or my Catholic school education. They spent a LOT of time on the correct way to use the English language, and expected us to do the same!!

Hyacinth