Respected Contributor

Re: Harry and Meghan visit Merseyside

@50Mickey  In U.K. particularly among the upper classes it was/is tradition for sons to go into the military just the done thing. Most - not all - of the Royals have been in some kind of miIitary service not necessarily by choice just tradition - hence on parades they are clad in their uniforms/medals etc., because they have served their country not dress-up for the occasion.  Some love it some do not.   Both William and Harry have served.

Unfortunately, the press are always ready to bring up old news re reputations both in UK and here a well known fact so if you are in the news you are at their mercy.  

Respected Contributor

I believe I have read that Princess Grace of Monaco had a very difficult time being accepted, and it took years. Having children should help. American brides are clearly outsiders. Her Father had to come up with a dowry.  In the end the people loved Princess Grace. 

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

Having grown up and lived most of my life in U.K. I agree with the comment earlier that Harry & Megan seem to be very romanticized here in U.S.

Unfortunately, Meghan - and this is just my opinion - is on the receiving end of a bit of a backlash from Harry.  He was never idolized at home , was always a rebel, a playboy always clubbing, etc. as lots of young men do - however, when he married Meghan to lots of Brits this was just another look what I am doing now action - not saying this is valid but heard a lot over in U.K.  Yes, he works at some charities now hopefully being married and to become a father his image will change in the U.K.

Soon all the bad press, etc., will die down and they will be living their own lives as do all the other Royals.  To most of us William is the important one.  

@dulwich I think your observations about possible perceptions of Harry are spot on. And truly, William is the important one... That's just how it rolls out... Just as Charles is the heir and Andrew was the spare... the same applies to Wiliam and Harry... Of course now, neither Andrew nor Harry are any longer the spare...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The queen had little choice, it was expected, fodder for the tabloids  if she hadn't given patronages to Meghan and may have caused ill feelings among Americans.

Often we give gifts to those we dislike because it's expected and better than letting our feelings known. We contribute to gifts for co-workers, bosses, unpleasant relatives...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

The queen had little choice, it was expected, fodder for the tabloids  if she hadn't given patronages to Meghan and may have caused ill feelings among Americans.

Often we give gifts to those we dislike because it's expected and better than letting our feelings known. We contribute to gifts for co-workers, bosses, unpleasant relatives...

@occasionalrain Of course, we have no idea of the queen's actual feelings toward Markle or this marriage. She might well like this woman or she might have realized that failing to accept her could cause familial, societal and perhaps even international rifts. Regardless, I do think you make a very valid point. No member of the royal family could be seen as merely being in line for the dole without having 'responsibilities'. For there to have been no patronages assigned to her would have been a rather glaring statement and one the royal family would not want to make for a variety of reasons...

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

Having grown up and lived most of my life in U.K. I agree with the comment earlier that Harry & Megan seem to be very romanticized here in U.S.

Unfortunately, Meghan - and this is just my opinion - is on the receiving end of a bit of a backlash from Harry.  He was never idolized at home , was always a rebel, a playboy always clubbing, etc. as lots of young men do - however, when he married Meghan to lots of Brits this was just another look what I am doing now action - not saying this is valid but heard a lot over in U.K.  Yes, he works at some charities now hopefully being married and to become a father his image will change in the U.K.

Soon all the bad press, etc., will die down and they will be living their own lives as do all the other Royals.  To most of us William is the important one.  

I always enjoy hearing your perspective on these things, @dulwich.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

@50Mickey  In U.K. particularly among the upper classes it was/is tradition for sons to go into the military just the done thing. Most - not all - of the Royals have been in some kind of miIitary service not necessarily by choice just tradition - hence on parades they are clad in their uniforms/medals etc., because they have served their country not dress-up for the occasion.  Some love it some do not.   Both William and Harry have served.

Unfortunately, the press are always ready to bring up old news re reputations both in UK and here a well known fact so if you are in the news you are at their mercy.  

Exactly @dulwich... The military, for better or worse, is an expectation for royal males... While the press might or might not always have been 'fair' to Harry or any other royal, as far as it goes, he did create his own dicey press to some extent... He's clearly done some good things and has displayed some 'noble' and 'stand-up' gestures, taken on 'causes', as well as demonstrated some rather 'in your face' sorts of behaviors, and there are those who are sort of wondering, rightly or wrongly, whether this marriage isn't yet another example of one or more of the above... Clearly, he has feelings for this woman, but at the end of the day, there's also some speculation as to whether or not there's more there than meets the eye...

Trusted Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

It doesn't matter what Americans think of her.  In fact,  Americans had no opinion of her when she lived in Canada and was on that TV show that no one even heard of or ever watched.  She's in Britain now and it only matters what they think of her.  The Brits don't like her.

She seems to be an intelligent, confident, and level-headed modern woman. I'm sure she knows that it only matters what she thinks of herself. I'm glad she is living her life, and hasn't sold her soul to fit into a role, no matter what a "priviledge" it appears to be. Maybe that's one of the things Harry loves about her. If preserving tradition was important to Harry, he should have married another woman. I'm sure Britain had a ton of appropriately educated, finished, refined, and obedient women eager to be a Duchess, but he didn't pick one of them.

BTW if your job forbids you to hold hands with your husband, your job sucks.

#married27yearsandstillholdinghands

And if MM were holding a blueberry pie there would be small birds circling above it!  LOL
Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I think this is so true.  Perception is everything.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind and arguementative