Respected Contributor

Re: Gloria Vanderbilt gave us high fashion denim jeans.

Yes she did!  I actually had 2 pair in 2 different sizes so I could always have one to wear no matter how bloated I was that day!  I distinctly remember paying $60 for each pair, which was a lot of dollars back then!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I so loved mine and when I wore her jeans always felt dressed up.  Levis and my Lee's just did not give me the same feeling like Gloria's did.  I loved the 80's.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 had a white pair of Gloria jeans that had the black swan on the coin pocket.  Wore them all summer in the 70's.

Honored Contributor

I surely wouldn't say the GV produced "high fashion" jeans. She was the first to add stretch to jeans. No one did back then. These stretchy jeans certainly weren't fashionable, they just looked like jeans that fit our bodies different. As successful as her clothing line was her personal life was a complete, very sad, trainwreck. RIP

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Ugh

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I like her Jeans. They fit me. She carries 'short.' I was never short when I was young but as I've aged, I lost a few inches!

She also made high waist jeans which I love. Holds in my belly rather than hanging below. I'm a size 6-8 but have a belly which I hate and low waist jeans just don't work for me.

She had a rough life. If you read her bio you would be surprised. I think she was married 4x.

I like her Amander high waist jeans in short. Impossible to find that fit in other jeans.

RIP Gloria....

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Ceci -- I continue to buy and wear GV 'Amanda' jeans after many, many years. Love the way they fit my body shape no matter if I get the capris, boot cut, skinny, whatever.  The "short" length is perfect for me.  GV knew how to create jeans that fit a woman's body!  Thank you!  Get mine at Kohl's for about $25.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo I'm with you and @Ceci Her jeans are the best fit and style for me.  Have been wearing them since they were first introduced.  

Not certain, but she might have been the first to introduce the slight "give" in jeans in terms of fitting women with different body silhouettes, which I appreciate, since I don't have the typical "lady" shape, being super skinny, even now, and not much to carry in the hip or derriere areas, so they always look good on me.  Sometimes for office wear I wore them with a crisp white collared shirt and a blazer and was ready for the day.

Also like that the company started offering colors other than just the traditional "blue" blue jeans.  And the price point still works for me--I usually get them for around $25.00 too, from several different sources.

Trusted Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@blackhole99 had a white pair of Gloria jeans that had the black swan on the coin pocket.  Wore them all summer in the 70's.

I had the same pair and i loved them so!!