Occasional Contributor

I have noticed that when the shirt/sweater size chart comes up (makes no difference which brand), I don't match the size chart.  I am 46", L is sometimes 44" and XL is sometimes 48".  I don't know which size to buy.  I don't want the top tight on me or too large that I have to alter.  In cases like this, I don't buy the garment at all because I don't like to return garments.

What do you do to determine your right size?  Is it all about the fabric and/or spandex?

Thanks much!

Esteemed Contributor

It was trial and error for me.  I choose between a M or L, depending on the designer, the fabric, and the style.  I think I have it down now.  But the best way is to look at the garment measurements.  You want a top to be about 2" more than your own bust measurement.  Take advantage of the free exchanges until you get it right.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: General Sizing Question

[ Edited ]

@CodyCosmo 

Depends on the whether the fabric is a knit or woven, and the style and or type of the garment.

A woven usually needs positive wearing ease (inches above your body measurement) and a close fitting knit / sweater could have negative ease (inches smaller than your body measurement).  

(Google "wearing ease chart.")

If there are gathers on the woven or it's described as maximum wearing ease - the measurements could be several inches larger than your bust measurement.  

Garments that are designed to be worn over other garments - require additional ease.  Some coats and jackets can be as much as 10 or more inches bigger than your bust measurement.

It's a matter of personal choice on how much ease you want.

My suggestion is that you take a couple of things from your closet in both woven and knit fabrics.  Things that you are happy with the fit.

Measure them and keep the numbers handy to check against the "click here" measurements.

Respected Contributor

I look at the actual garment measurements, evaluate if it will fit me (I'm petite, and like my clothes fitted), and decide not to take a chance on the item 99.9% of the time.  .....  I don't want to pay for return shipping if the item isn't right for me, so I rarely order.

Respected Contributor

@CodyCosmo wrote:

I have noticed that when the shirt/sweater size chart comes up (makes no difference which brand), I don't match the size chart.  I am 46", L is sometimes 44" and XL is sometimes 48".  I don't know which size to buy.  I don't want the top tight on me or too large that I have to alter.  In cases like this, I don't buy the garment at all because I don't like to return garments.

What do you do to determine your right size?  Is it all about the fabric and/or spandex?

Thanks much!

I've had a difficult time with QVC sizing the last two years or so.  I order an XL in tops and bottoms for the most part, I don't like anything tight fitting.  But I've noticed when ordering my usual size, it's either too big or too tight.  It's been very inconsistent.  This is more often the case with Denim & Co.  I do find that my size differs in bottoms only with Susan Graver, I then usually wear a large.  I stopped buying Isaac's clothing because of sizing issues, with shoes too.  I try to read the reviews (if there are any) beccause if there are multiple reviews saying something like "it's tight in the bust area...size up" , then I know there is an issue and I probably don't buy it.  

Honored Contributor

I tend to err on the large side.  Extra fabric at the bust is OK with me, where I get bothered is when the shoulderss are too big.  

Honored Contributor

@CodyCosmo   The actual measurements for each garment are listed where it says "click here" at the end of the text describing the garment.  Measure something you own that fits well, then look for similar measurements.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Same problem here.  After quite a few tries, I found QVC's clothing isn't cut and sized for my body. 

Although, I'm not Italian or French, their cuts and sizing fit best.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: General Sizing Question

[ Edited ]

@CodyCosmo wrote:

Thanks much!

When the chest size comes up for each size on the TV screen that is the gament measurement. (same as the "click here" online) So if your actual bust measurement is 46" you would need 2-4 inches larger as stated in the gament measurement.  So you would usually be an XL or a 1X.  I measure 36" around my bust I ususally take a small. (my garment measurements can range  37"-41" depending on if it has sleeves or if there's stretch)

Honored Contributor

I always check the garment measurements online. I also check the material used to make the item, and how much, if any, stretch is in the garment. Reviews on how the item seems to be fitting can also help.

You always want the garment measurements to be greater than your body measurements. If you prefer your garments fitted or looser also impacts your size decision. For example, I prefer my tops fitted so I always go to the smaller size if my measurements fall between sizes.