Respected Contributor

I need new slacks and I hate shopping for them.  I am short and heavy with a lot of my weight in legs.  I cannot where anything slim cut or clingy.  I also have a short rise which is somewhat of a problem.  I try slacks on and nothing fits.

Does anyone know if any of the department stores help you with sizing?  I didn't know if they did that anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Have you tried the stores that cater to plus sizes? They may be able to help.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

It sounds like you need Women’s Petites sized slacks. These are fuller in the seat & waist than misses sizes and proportionately shorter in the inseam. I know you can find them at Talbots (double-check their store locator to make sure the store near you stocks them) and Full Beauty has a limited selection of Petite clothing. I’ve also found that some clothing lines offer Short slacks instead of or in addition to Women’s Petites. Sometimes these work for me, too. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I agree that you need woman's petite sizes, sometimes called Petite Plus.  They can be purchased at Lands End, Talbots and Christopher Banks. I have also seen those sizes at Macy's, and Boscov's on occasion.

If no stores near you, order on line.

Honored Contributor

Re: Finding Slacks That Fit

[ Edited ]

How about trying Lane Bryant? They are at most malls and they have really nice clothing too. You will never find things to fit you strictly from  online;  I have never found a place anyway; you need to go in person and try them on. And then maybe have them altered to fit. No reason in the world that you shouldn't feel great in your clothing no matter what the size!!! My issue is that I have no breasts due to cancer and no reconstruction is planned--so trying to find tops/ shirts that will fit is a huge task. Can't order online and be assured of the fit,  but need to go in person and try stuff on. We all have issues right?

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you are very similar in build as my daughter in law. I purchase Bob Mackie full leg petities pants for her every year and she lives in them. She can't stand anything that clings and prefers items to have a fuller cut. I would recommend Bob Mackie. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Finding Slacks That Fit

[ Edited ]

Rafella Curvy is a nice slack.

It would be best if you would go to a department store that carries a lot of choices and just start trying on.

That's what you have to do for slacks or jeans, unfortunately.  When you get your style, keep the hang tags and buy multiples.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same problem except I'm tall and my thighs are Huge.  When I get dress pants to go over my thighs, the waist and stomach area are three sizes too big.  I just went to look for dress pants at my local mall and I could hardly find any dress pants that weren't made like a skinny jean (which I hate and don't wear).  I ended ordering some dress pants from, of all places, Blair.  They don't fit the best, but it will do until I get to a larger city with a larger mall/larger department stores to spend a day trying on pants.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk  I have good luck with Chico's.   I like the "so slimming" line.  Even if you order online the size charts are true to size.   Best of luck.

Super Contributor
Sounds like me!!! I had good luck finding work type pants at Macy’s, Nordstrom, Lane Bryant and also here. I wear a 2x petite in pants and many times I can get a ankle pant in regular and it fits really well. I prefer to shop at Nordstrom because they are great with returns and free shipping. They are pricier but their sales are good. I tried the Mackie wide leg pants but they were kinda long in the petite and generous in size. I needed to size down. They are really nice though. Lane Bryant has nice pants in petites. I wore my work pants from there to death. Good luck!!!