Valued Contributor

Re: Faux or Animal Fur . . .

This is ridiculous; I refuse to wear any kind of fur, real or faux. If people only knew or cared what torture those animals go through to make fur coats and how many animals it takes just to make one, hopefully, they would rethink wearing one.

No thanks, I have a conscience. IMO, it looks much better on the animal.

Super Contributor

I don't wear real fur but I don't have a problem with those that do. Their business, I am of the live and let live camp.

I do wear faux and I am pretty sure that all the faux fur I have is 100% acrylic. I do think it should be labeled correctly, because consumers have a right to know what they are buying.

This being said, I was in a department store (which shall remain nameless here) a few days ago and they had faux fur wine bottle bags. I bought one for a friend that I always give a bottle of wine to for the holidays. I always try to find a fun and interesting bag to put her wine bottle in. Well, I got home and after looking at the wine bottle bag very closely, I do indeed believe that this wine bottle bag is NOT faux fur. I think it's real fur of some kind and so I am returning it. There is a tag on it, saying it's faux fur, but I really don't believe it is faux.

Valued Contributor

On 12/19/2014 imaclotheshog said:

I don't wear real fur but I don't have a problem with those that do. Their business, I am of the live and let live camp.

I do wear faux and I am pretty sure that all the faux fur I have is 100% acrylic. I do think it should be labeled correctly, because consumers have a right to know what they are buying.

This being said, I was in a department store (which shall remain nameless here) a few days ago and they had faux fur wine bottle bags. I bought one for a friend that I always give a bottle of wine to for the holidays. I always try to find a fun and interesting bag to put her wine bottle in. Well, I got home and after looking at the wine bottle bag very closely, I do indeed believe that this wine bottle bag is NOT faux fur. I think it's real fur of some kind and so I am returning it. There is a tag on it, saying it's faux fur, but I really don't believe it is faux.

Good for you; hopefully, you can let them know why you are returning it. IMO, it's false advertising to see it's faux if it's not.

Good luck with the return.

Regular Contributor

I would never wear real fur items, they look much better on the animal it should be on, than on any human. As for the fake fur ( or now in question if it's really fake or not), it doesn't appeal to me as well, I feel it makes one look really bulky and unbecoming. With so many beautiful textiles out there, one can surely find something to wear other than animal pelts, real or fake ones. Unless you come from a heritage that is your custom and only means of clothing, I can't see doing the fur thing.

Honored Contributor

I would never purchase, own, or wear real fur. That being said, if I would't have the real thing why in the world would I want a fake?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

not sure why Today show is airing this now since this story has been around a long time. NM had to pay a fine for selling faux fur that was mixed with real, Kohls was selling rabbit fur under the guise of faux and pulled the items.

Even more disturbing is that since China is the main manufacturer of our goods, they have been caught using dog/cat fur in their faux fur pieces and believe me, they are not kind to those animals.

I refuse to wear faux fur in any way, shape or form. Besides being ugly, there is no assurance that 100% of it is acrylic.

ETA: people nowadays won't wear real fur and put much of the furriers out of business selling to the American market, yet those same people have no problem with all the sheepskin boots, gloves and so forth. Yesterday I was in Homegoods and they were selling a sheepskin rug which in no way could have been taken from a sheep that was butchered for meat. The skin came off first, whole and intact and that to me is just plain cruel.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

I would not wear real fur even if I could afford it and my faux fur looks so real I'm uneasy when I do wear the coat. People give you the look and it's not admiration.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Drythe said:

I would never purchase, own, or wear real fur. That being said, if I would't have the real thing why in the world would I want a fake?

Drythe, I total agree with you. I also won't purchase anything from Dennis Basso, or others that use real fur. For me it implies approval of their use of real fur.

Honored Contributor

According to what they said this morning, the reason the Today Show aired it again this year, is that they did the test again this year and found the stores still doing the same thing as last year, although the stores said last year that they would not.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

The only fur I wear is when Cinderella is sleeping on my lap......my precious 3 legged cat...bless her heart! Never would I even consider wearing any kind of fur...real or faux!!