Trusted Contributor

Re: Faux or Animal Fur . . .

That is really disappointing to hear. Thanks for the warning...I had no idea.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 imaclotheshog said:

I don't wear real fur but I don't have a problem with those that do. Their business, I am of the live and let live camp.

I do wear faux and I am pretty sure that all the faux fur I have is 100% acrylic. I do think it should be labeled correctly, because consumers have a right to know what they are buying.

This being said, I was in a department store (which shall remain nameless here) a few days ago and they had faux fur wine bottle bags. I bought one for a friend that I always give a bottle of wine to for the holidays. I always try to find a fun and interesting bag to put her wine bottle in. Well, I got home and after looking at the wine bottle bag very closely, I do indeed believe that this wine bottle bag is NOT faux fur. I think it's real fur of some kind and so I am returning it. There is a tag on it, saying it's faux fur, but I really don't believe it is faux.

ITA Amp. I have a lot of faux fur, but I don't fault others for wearing fur. It's YOUR choice. I don't pass judgment on anyone. I'm sorry you bought something that you think is real. What gave you the inclination that it was real anyway?

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I don't wear faux fur or real fur. But I do wear leather shoes, carry leather purses and wear suede and leather coats so that is not any better.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Drythe said:

I would never purchase, own, or wear real fur. That being said, if I would't have the real thing why in the world would I want a fake?

Exactly. I wear neither real or faux.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I heard about this last year.

I am extremely opposed to real fur and I will not wear faux either.

Ditto.

(And it sickens me.)

Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 wilma said:
On 12/19/2014 Drythe said:

I would never purchase, own, or wear real fur. That being said, if I would't have the real thing why in the world would I want a fake?

Exactly. I wear neither real or faux.

I agree with both of you. Why would I want to wear anything that could possibly be misconstrued as being real fur? It is just against my belief system to wear fur of any kind.

Honored Contributor

Since I live ion Florida this is a moot point for me but I am not at all opposed to the use of fur from an animal that has been killed for meat. After all we wear leather shoes and purses and eat meat. I do think it is wrong to slaughter an animal just for it's fur or feathers. But once killed for another reason - doesn't it seem that as much should be used as possible.

We went to a dinner recently where lamb chops were served and a lady sitting there in her very soft leather jacket could not bring herself to eat the lamb because it was a baby animal - I would bet my last dime that very soft leather jacket she was wearing was lambskin!

However, it certainly should be properly labeled.

Super Contributor

I guess I don't understand the confusion about real and faux fur. As far as I see it doesn't need to be sent to a lab. Real fur is leather with the hair left on so the back side of real fur is suede or leather. Faux fur is more than likely some type of knit or felt on the back. You can also tell by the feel - real fur is heavier and stiffer.

Honored Contributor

Does this have anything to do with the Lamo boot recall mystery? Maybe the faux wasn't so faux?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

Norsky Gal, I agree with all you said. I would never support Dennis Basso or anything he does either, I think furriers are sickening and women who wear fur or skins for vanity should check how those animals died, it is beyond horrifying. Most women today think about their own vanity and don't think beyond it as they concern themselves with just that, themselves. No one wants to think how their product was produced or how that product was made.

I'm glad LR is gone with her cheap line of Chinese leather and skins as she referred to them. Whatever she is doing good luck to her, but I hope she has moved beyond that cheaply produced line of "fashion" and onto something that does not include the use of animals.

"I ONLY would wear Faux, but personally, I don't like either. Those manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves and should be heavily fined for false advertising because that is an important thing to many people. Many people would not buy the items if they knew it contained real fur.

I also don't buy ANYTHING from Dennis Basso, because he produced A LOT of fur items and I do NOT want to support anything he does."

NorskyGal