Esteemed Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

We have a home in Italy.  What the OP said is true not just in Rome.  Not everyone is a fashionista. Not making excuses but it's extremely hot in the summer and there is little air-conditioning in most homes.  I've seen a lot of ladies of all ages wearing sleeveless or spaghetti straps with bras showing.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you come to have a home in Italy? 

I've dreamt of doing something like that, but have never pursued any information since it just seemed out of reach.

Never been there, but would love to go!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Here is my take on fashion around the world in large cities.

Women who work in large cities anywhere in the world tend to dress better because their job requires them to.  When these women are on vacation or out and about, they tend to dress more casual like everyone else.

Most of fashionably dressed women we see are at work, on their way to work, at lunch or shopping on their way home from work.

i used to be surprised when in Europe, especially in small towns how mismatched the clothing was.....  Not anymore.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

We have a home in Italy.  What the OP said is true not just in Rome.  Not everyone is a fashionista. Not making excuses but it's extremely hot in the summer and there is little air-conditioning in most homes.  I've seen a lot of ladies of all ages wearing sleeveless or spaghetti straps with bras showing.

I've dreamt of doing something like that, but have never pursued any information since it just seemed out of reach.

My husband is Italian and we vacationed there a lot.  Years ago a cousin's husband began buying fixer uppers and flipping them.  He helped us choose a home, a rundown farmhouse.  It's in San Gimignano (Tuscany) It took awhile to restore it but it is now beautiful.  I'm retired so spend more time there than my husband.  In total, I'm there close to 5 months of the year.  We have a caretaker and his wife who live in a cottage on the property.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jerseygirl1266 wrote:

I have been to Italy many times over the past 20 years and noticed that Rome is more of a hodgepodge and a true mix of well and not so well dressed.  I always see more well dressed women in other parts of Italy like Florence and especially in Milan.

Hi fellow Jerseyite - I spend 6 months in Italy out of the year and what you say is correct.  Milan is known as the fashion capital I believe.  Some years Paris, some years Milan.  I am outside of Sienna and people are very well dressed but some aren't.  Italy is just like any other place...those that work on farms or vineyards dress appropriately and many Italians are working in Rome but when out, always fine leather, good shoes and a gold piece or 2 and depending on age.  Young Italians like American designers and Gap is big in college towns....I wouldn't judge Italian fashion by Rome.  There are so many tourists and it is hard to find a true Romani and like any big city, they have their share of poverty.  In the small neighborhoods, non tourist sections, you will find the authentic Italian.  For me, Italian design has always been my preference.  The sheer blouse and dark bra is popular in America and I see it often in NYC, not to my taste 

Respected Contributor

wow this lifestyle sounds like Under the Tuscan Sun!  How Fun!

by any chance are there any hunky 40ish bachelors in Tuscany ?

Honored Contributor

While a certain former show host pretended that all Italian women were immaculately dressed 24/7 and the eptiomy of style and grace....anyone whoever spent 10 minutes anywhere in Italy knew that wasn't the truth.  Italian women are no different than women anywhere else in the world.  Some dress well, some don't.  Some even commit fashion faux pas.  Their lives do not and never did revolve around fashion.  No more than our lives do.  While were talking; it's the same with French women.  I do know that fashion trends begin in Italy and we are about a year behind.  I've seen some of that "very sheer blouse with the bra showing" this summer.  Mostly white blouse/white bra or black blouse/black bra.  You might have seen it on very fashionable women but I think the woman with the sundress was just a walking "fashion don't".  Italy has it's fair share of that type too.  The intentional mix match look has been around for a couple of years now.  It's hard to do and I don't think it took off here in the US.  Apparently the look is popular in Italy.    

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline  I have seen many a good looking men in Italy, mostly Italian 

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

wow this lifestyle sounds like Under the Tuscan Sun!  How Fun!

by any chance are there any hunky 40ish bachelors in Tuscany ?

Esteemed Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

My husband is Italian and we vacationed there a lot.  Years ago a cousin's husband began buying fixer uppers and flipping them.  He helped us choose a home, a rundown farmhouse.  It's in San Gimignano (Tuscany) It took awhile to restore it but it is now beautiful.  I'm retired so spend more time there than my husband.  In total, I'm there close to 5 months of the year.  We have a caretaker and his wife who live in a cottage on the property.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  It sounds marvelous on all fronts -- Italian husband and home Smiley Very Happy

5 months out of the year would work for me!

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

the women in rome can wear what they they like, just as we in the u.s. wear what we like.  true, there are cities that are ahead of us setting trends but that doesn't mean we have to follow them.  we all should pick and choose what is appropriate for us and wear them.  no one should dictate what we wear at any time.  true, i like many of the trends but that doesn't mean that all women should follow them.  it's to each their own and what women look good, like and feel comfortable in is what they should wear.

Respected Contributor

My maternal family is Italian...our extended family, cousins, aunts, uncles. ..live in northern Italy in smaller towns and cities.  I never noticed them to be fashion mavens anymore than anyone else I knew.  The cousin I am closest to always wore jeans and sweaters or tee shirts or blouses.  I do have three cousins, sisters, who liked to dress trendy when we were teenagers. ..and they were really beautiful girls.  But for the most part, clothes wise, everyone I saw dressed like me.  I will say that Italian women have one quality...confidence...and I think a confident woman is the most beautiful of all. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero