Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion language; Colorways and Color

I know that I would not be able to stand up there and talk for 3 hours about these products and I would make a lot more grammer errors than the hosts do. What I don't understand is why so many posters here find it necessary to make such a big deal about something so unimportant. If it bothers you so much perhaps you should turn the TV off. Try listening to music on the radio for a while instead.

Honored Contributor

It is funny some of the terms they use to describe items. Sometimes I think they are trying to impress us with their "new and improved" vocabulary. In the scheme of things though I don't let it bother me. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I know that I would not be able to stand up there and talk for 3 hours about these products and I would make a lot more grammer errors than the hosts do. What I don't understand is why so many posters here find it necessary to make such a big deal about something so unimportant. If it bothers you so much perhaps you should turn the TV off. Try listening to music on the radio for a while instead.

@151949***Good post!

They should try teaching first where one has enough material to fill the time before repeating.  IF they make that for five years, they "might" be ready for this!

Honored Contributor

It seems to me that @ECBG's point has to do with educating oneself as to correct terminology and then using it correctly.

It doesn't have to do with "new" terms.  As she pointed out, "colorway" has been around for decades, maybe longer.

I simply don't understand why QVC hosts make so little effort to educate themselves on the items they sell, and on the history and vocabulary of design.  By extension, then educating their customers.    At least then they would have more to share than just how much of the arm a sleeve covers.

Maybe add in a little more J. Peterman-style and a little less "cover up your faults"-style.   Doesn't everybody get tired of hearing how bad our bodies are and how the QVC team is here to help us with our "faults"?  I know I do - even though I have some of those "faults."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

It seems to me that @ECBG's point has to do with educating oneself as to correct terminology and then using it correctly.

It doesn't have to do with "new" terms.  As she pointed out, "colorway" has been around for decades, maybe longer.

I simply don't understand why QVC hosts make so little effort to educate themselves on the items they sell, and on the history and vocabulary of design.  By extension, then educating their customers.    At least then they would have more to share than just how much of the arm a sleeve covers.

Maybe add in a little more J. Peterman-style and a little less "cover up your faults"-style.   Doesn't everybody get tired of hearing how bad our bodies are and how the QVC team is here to help us with our "faults"?  I know I do - even though I have some of those "faults."

@GingerPeach******I totally understand what you're saying, but most managers in clothing stores and I imagine Q isn't ant different, feel that the no. one objective is to sell.  They don't care if a question is answered and see the history of anything as something that the customer should be picling up in their own.  

As you know, I taught for 36 years and have been in fashion or fine jewelry retail, (taught by a gemologist), for five years.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@GingerPeach******I totally understand what you're saying, but most managers in clothing stores and I imagine Q isn't ant different, feel that the no. one objective is to sell.  They don't care if a question is answered and see the history of anything as something that the customer should be picling up in their own.  

As you know, I taught for 36 years and have been in fashion or fine jewelry retail, (taught by a gemologist), for five years.

Thanks, @ECBG.  I do get the whole "sell" mantra - by retailers of all types, including QVC.  But since the hosts do spend a lot of time with each item, they do have the opportunity to share a lot.  And since so many complain about hearing too much about hosts' personal lives, well . . . Woman LOL

By the way, how is the new job going?  Perfectly, I hope!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Thanks, @ECBG.  I do get the whole "sell" mantra - by retailers of all types, including QVC.  But since the hosts do spend a lot of time with each item, they do have the opportunity to share a lot.  And since so many complain about hearing too much about hosts' personal lives, well . . . Woman LOL

By the way, how is the new job going?  Perfectly, I hope!

@GingerPeach***Thank you for ashing but I'm looking for a new position now!  The place that I loved, everyone BUT myself knew I was for the Fall and Christmas season!!!  The manager told me TWO days before Christmas because I had asked off for a date in January that I never work because we lost our nineteen year son, my "baby" in an accident.  Later she told me during the day.  I had never shared that with her.

I'll be on later.

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear about the tragedy, @ECBG.  I can't even imagine what that did to you and your family.

I'm sending you all my best wishes, thoughts, and anything else that can travel electronically and/or spiritually for a great new job.  I can always tell you have a lot to offer!  Have a great evening.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

I am so sorry ECBG. I know there is no greater loss for a mother.I hope his loving spirit will surround your heart always.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, Isaac has tried educating Shawn about any number of things but it seems to be difficult.

Another thing that bothers me and it should not and I have never mentioned it but since we are being critical, mine is "it comes in 7 shades, blue, red, green, yellow, brown, orange, etc.  Blue is not a shade.  Green is not a shade. Blue, green, et al are hues. Shades are darker intonations of the color.  Ok.  Now, I'm going to turn the soap box over to someone else.