Honored Contributor

Fashion language; Colorways and Color

I was watching a video today and almost laughed when "colorways" was used in the description.  

As many of you know I taught for thirty six years and designed clothes in college before teaching my area of which Interior Design was my favorite emphasis where I won many awards.

Colorways are a mixtire of colors, as in a white shirt with a blue collar and placket, the same shirt done with red collar and placket, the third in a yellow collar and placket.

"The shirt is being offered in three colorways".

Color refers to an item in which there is one color.

"The shirt is being offered in three colors".

A solid blue shirt

A solid red shirt

A solid yellow shirt.

If they're going to make this destinction, let's hope it's correctly done.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion language; Colorways and Color

The hosts seem to use that term "willy-nilly".  It sounds so "pretentious", and so unnecessary, when all they need to say is "color" in most of the cases.  Latest buzz-word, I guess.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

The hosts seem to use that term "willy-nilly".  It sounds so "pretentious", and so unnecessary, when all they need to say is "color" in most of the cases.  Latest buzz-word, I guess.

@Krimpette****If I had a guess, I'd say one of the designers used it and it was slowly picked up.  The word is over fifty years old and I really don't see anyone here that is that "fashion savy" in terms of fashion knowledge and history.  Wearing a dress is not knowledge.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

@Krimpette****If I had a guess, I'd say one of the designers used it and it was slowly picked up.  The word is over fifty years old and I really don't see anyone here that is that "fashion savy" in terms of fashion knowledge and history.  Wearing a dress is not knowledge.

I first heard Susan Graver using 

"colorways" @ECBG.

Interesting thread.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

I can accept  "colorways".  It's "stinkin' cute" they need to drop. 
~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Esteemed Contributor

Would that be colorways on the day?  

Honored Contributor

@Lyttlewyng wrote:

@Lyttlewyng******Remember "as cute as a bug!"?  I don't mind that one!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Lyttlewyng wrote:

@Lyttlewyng******Remember "as cute as a bug!"?  I don't mind that one!  Smiley Happy

@ECBG

Yes, I do remember!  I agree....I don't mind that one either.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

Aw shucks...........most of them don't even know what a button-down collar is................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

I get a kick out of the use of the word "she", referring to the garment being offered for sale during a presentation. Also I agree that a button-down shirt is one with a collar that has buttons that "button down". All this is minor but entertaining.