Honored Contributor

. . .   Have any of you ever attended or participated in a Goodwill Fashion Show?  It is one of the most fun things and most beautiful of events I have ever attended and it is a fabulous way to raise money for Goodwill Industries.

Respected Contributor
I have never attended one but, I think I would enjoy attending! What a wonderful idea! This is heartwarming !! I’m glad you were able to experience it!!
Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday   Sounds fun & a good cause also.

Years ago I attended a show @ our Goodwill before Halloween & they featured costumes put together by their staff & some of them were wow.

Respected Contributor

Sorry but I never knew there was a Goodwill Fashion Show

I just recently made a donation of QVC fashions actually it was the second QVC fashion donation because of weight loss. I hope the SG, Kim Gravell and D&C items help the cause.    

Honored Contributor

I have attended 3.  Each was provided or sponsored by different organizations.  I attended one in which my son was a model and clothing was from different stores about town, most of them were the nicer stores.  The clothing modeled was given to Goodwill to sell but the show was also a request for contributions to Goodwill.

The next one I attended was of bridal attire and trousseau attire worn by brides throughout history.  These were bridal trousseaus and gowns, men's tux's worn by wedding parties of different eras:  they were all donated to Goodwill through the years by descendants of people.  They were very fragile so we were not allowed to touch them.  Some of the bridal gowns and trousseaus dated back to c. 1850, and were as recent as 1960s.

The last one I attended was clothing donated to Goodwill that was vintage and as was the bridal/trousseau show, the clothing was from all over the globe.  Each donor was given credit for the item.  Most of the vintage clothing was from c.1900 to 1950s.  

One that was extremely interesting was in a bridal troussea and it was an outfit worn by the bride after her engagement party, which she would wear on a picnic with her financee and it was made of a very nice brocade silk (for a picnic) but it had no crotch in it.  We all thought that was the funniest thing.  It was c.1925-29.  I can't recall the exact date, but all the garments had the names of the donor and the person who had worn it.  

Most were from very well-to-do families whose names you might recognize from your community, or names like Rockefeller or Vanderbilt, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

I have attended 3.  Each was provided or sponsored by different organizations.  I attended one in which my son was a model and clothing was from different stores about town, most of them were the nicer stores.  The clothing modeled was given to Goodwill to sell but the show was also a request for contributions to Goodwill.

The next one I attended was of bridal attire and trousseau attire worn by brides throughout history.  These were bridal trousseaus and gowns, men's tux's worn by wedding parties of different eras:  they were all donated to Goodwill through the years by descendants of people.  They were very fragile so we were not allowed to touch them.  Some of the bridal gowns and trousseaus dated back to c. 1850, and were as recent as 1960s.

The last one I attended was clothing donated to Goodwill that was vintage and as was the bridal/trousseau show, the clothing was from all over the globe.  Each donor was given credit for the item.  Most of the vintage clothing was from c.1900 to 1950s.  

One that was extremely interesting was in a bridal troussea and it was an outfit worn by the bride after her engagement party, which she would wear on a picnic with her financee and it was made of a very nice brocade silk (for a picnic) but it had no crotch in it.  We all thought that was the funniest thing.  It was c.1925-29.  That garment, too, was modeled but we did not see the crotch.  We were just told about it.  I can't recall the exact date, but all the garments had the names of the donor and most had name of the person who had worn it.  

Most were from very well-to-do families in the community, founders of the community, entrepreneurs, pastors from the past, business leaders, etc., whose names you might recognize from your community, or names like Rockefeller or Vanderbilt, etc.

These are modeled by board members of the Goodwill or prominent members of the community who have made a difference in the community and after each show, the attendees are asked to make contributions to their local Goodwill. It is certainly worth the price of admission. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know why this posted twice but so note it be.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion Shows. . .

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday 

Very interesting. Sounds like those fashion shows were fun. Thanks for sharing. 

Have a Good Day!