Super Contributor

We're having family photos taken this fall, and I am always stumped about what to wear. For reference, I am similar in size, body type, and coloring to Jane Treacy, I'm in my late 40's, and the photos will be outside when the leaves are changing to fall colors. I haven't decided if we are going to be casual or a little dressy, but I'm open to suggestions! 

Oh, and my family consists of my husband, 3 kids, dog, and me! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: Family photo suggestions?

Sounds very nice with the fall foilage & dog in picture. Why not consult with the professional who will be taking your photos? They would know best.

Honored Contributor

Group photos always look best if everyone is wearing a similar color.  Blue, for example, looks good on everyone and it's in their closets.

Image result for group photo wearing same color

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Autumn?  NICE jeans, sweaters (shirts not t-shirts if it is too warm), pumpking and leaves.  Casual, sitting on the ground with pretty trees in the background.   Someone holding or sitting by a pot of mums?  

I would go for different colors--golds, reds, browns, navy, etc.  Coordinating but not matching to express your individuality.  If kids have favoroite clothes try to work those in so in 40 years they can say OH I remember that shirt!  LOL!!! And nice shoes like loafers or nice athletic shoes if they want to wear those.  Make it reflect the times without being really dated looking. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Group photos always look best if everyone is wearing a similar color.  Blue, for example, looks good on everyone and it's in their closets.

is that a tan line on girl on the extreme right?!

Honored Contributor

i always love a slightly more dressed down photo rather than a dressed up photo, except for special occasions.

some of the best i have seen are white with black bottoms OR white with denim on the bottom.

my cousins did something whimsical for one of their family photos. they had the matriach of their family in the center looking at the camera. everyone else surrounding her......daughters/husbands/sister/grandchildren were in different positions and staring at/using  their cell phones. it is such a fun pic!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Since you will be outside and have kids and a dog, I would go more casual.  I would have everyone wear jeans (except the dog, of course) and wear a similar color shirt, or have the kids wear one color and you and your husband wear a different color.  Hopefully it will be a bit overcast because photos in bright sunlight can be a bit harsh.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I like coordinating outfits. It’s your family and your memories!!

Esteemed Contributor

Like @sunshine45, I would go for a more casual look.  The formal ones always look so staged to me.  LM

Valued Contributor

Years ago I had a professional photo of my 3 sons & DH.  I got all of them new denim shirts, thinking it would make a nice, casual photo.

Today I see that picture as a convict and 3 delinquints..  Not a good look!

What about jeans, bare feet and lots of hay or a pile of leaves and some mums?