Esteemed Contributor

Re: Expensive sequence of events - just thought I'd share.

Remember those "Buff" things, @house_cat?  Adds color instantly (read:  distraction).

Funny🤣, your story today!

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Too funny!

I think you jumped the gun a bit ... could of gotten away with spending a lot less though... say perhaps a new lipstick, a cream blush, eyebrow pencil  and a mascara for starters.

They say as we age - lips color is key to giving color in your face, even more so than blush -so even perhaps a lipstick or even a colored gloss.  Also, the brows are an important features to frame the face.

For me - those two items are a must have - a good lip color and a brow pencil. I rarely mess with blush or mascara - those two used to be must haves too, but now, hmmm... not so much. Even though I do like a good cream blush (pink/rose) and a good thickening mascara (deep black).

Also -moisturizing is also key!!!! Find one that works well for you - you know, one that  really sinks in and not just sits on top doing absolutely nothing.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat, I totally get what you are saying.  I think we can all say that if we see a picture of us that is unappealing, we have thoughts runnin through our heads. 

Not a great feeling.  Dont take your shopping Ulta spree to serious my dear.  We have all done a shopping spree or 2 and regretted it !  You dont give it another thought

Honored Contributor

I've noticed great changes in my appearance over the past year. I just turned 69 so I suppose it was inevitable. My appearance is definitely more aged. Sigh. Falling and injuring my back last summer & all the pain that went with that has taken a toll too.I look like a cronic pain patient -real  pain always shows on your face!

Honored Contributor

Don't give up on the makeup ,yet. Try it a few more times. It might just have been the mood you were in..Heart

I am sure you look a lot better ,than you are letting on

Honored Contributor

First and foremost, my husband of 40 years knows better and  would NEVER TAKE A CANDID PHOTO OF ME...... that is all I have to say. 

Honored Contributor

I can't wrap my head around that scenario.  At 57, that just is not me.  First, hubby would never in million years take a candid photo of me...lol   And an outside photo at that....lol  However, at this stage of my life a less than attractive photo of me wouldn't bother me one little bit.  Certainly not enough to make me spend a small fortune on makeup...lol

Honored Contributor

Throw the camera away, have your husband sleep a little late next Sunday, then pour yourself a cup of coffee and sit back and relax on back porch.  He will join you soon for another cup without a camera.  You are his bride forever and always in his eyes.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@house_catwrote:

1) Enjoying our sunny back porch on Sunday with hubby.

2) He snaps a candid photo of me.

3) He shows me the photo, thinking I'd be pleased.

4) I'm horrified at how awful I look.

5) I spend the afternoon watching YouTube makeup tutorials for "mature" women.

6) I visit Ulta Beauty on Monday morning and spend $149. (nice gift with purchase, I have to admit)

7) I try my new products, look like a clown, wash it all off.

8) Today I'll look exactly the same as I did on Sunday morning, except that I l know have a bunch of cosmetics that I will likely never use and $149 less in my checking account.

Sigh. 

Does this sort of thing happen to other people?

Oh my goodness, how I can relate to this.  I read all the responses and I relate to almost every one of them.

Turned 70 last June, and knew to expect some heavy changes and was not disappointed!  Not that I haven't had that happen before (like a period in my early 40's when I felt I saw some big changes), but things were happening in a gradual fashion until the last year or so.  Even my hardly- graying,  good thick hair has taken a hit, and is frizzy and getting wispier, although I still have a full head. 

The thing I think most everyone didn't focus on was that you were having a nice sunny day relaxing when all of a sudden it changed for you, and you became focused on your appearance.  Happens to me all the time, I am starting to dread having to dress up to go out somewhere. 

You told the story with a sense of humor, though, I was chuckling when I read it.  It's so true.

Honored Contributor

I love my makeup and I always am perfectly made up.  I get lots of compliments on how great I always look...BUT...I look horrendous in photos or videos.  When I worked we would have driver's license photo contests and most times I won the scariest awful category!!    I also know so many that look great and much better in a video or photo than they do in person.  That's not what matters - it's how you treat others and live your live that counts in my book!!