Honored Contributor

Rachel B keeps using this terminology.  So I looked it up to see what it meant:

"Fashion people have an expression—"very editorial"—to describe clothes that look stunning in magazine fashion shoots but which nobody in their right mind would actually wear. The use seems to have its origin in the world of advertising and the images used therein"

I had to laugh to myself.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 

Last year on Project Runway the designers had to create a look for a "star" model and then have it photographed by a pro "an editorial look" 

Exactly what you described.  The clothes were outrageous but they looks fantastic in the photos.

@rms1954 wrote:

"Fashion people have an expression—"very editorial"—to describe clothes that look stunning in magazine fashion shoots but which nobody in their right mind would actually wear. The use seems to have its origin in the world of advertising and the images used therein"

Honored Contributor

Yes, indeed.  An "editoral" look in fashion magazines had always been something that is meant to tell a story.  The look is exaggerated and while some celebrities wear editorial looks as advertisement for designers, a real wouldn't.  Like when designers wanted us to think about wider pants legs, the editorial looks were wide enough for a small car.  

Trusted Contributor

I laugh every time they use  a fancy term to make the junk they are advertising special.  Their favorite term seems to be "rock a look".  Dumbest term I have ever heard.  I just chuckle.  Each to their own.

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen some really beautiful editorial looks in magazines and elsewhere.  I associate it more as "Art in clothing form".  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@rms1954 

Last year on Project Runway the designers had to create a look for a "star" model and then have it photographed by a pro "an editorial look" 

Exactly what you described.  The clothes were outrageous but they looks fantastic in the photos.

@rms1954 wrote:

@mspatmac 

Andy Warhol in clothing.