Honored Contributor

Re: Don’t Show Socks with Sneakers?

I've been wearing no show socks now for several years...this is for both fashion and exercise sneakers.  I tried many brands of no show socks and all slipped off of my feet until I found Bombas no shows....they really stay on with no slippage!!

If I want warm feet and it's a bit chilly I'll wear boots with socks.

Honored Contributor

@wilma I am anti sock, they drive me crazy.  I live in the midwest, and don't break socks out until I absolutely have to wear them.

I would love to find the no show that actually stay in place.  Like you the gripy thing did not hold and the sock ended up all balled up.  I have tried several brands and am done trying.  

I rarely wear sneakers, only when I am doing a long walk and I wear the short ankle socks, otherwise my feet would blister.

I do think the socks ruin the look..but that's me, everyone will have their opinion.

Honored Contributor

I only wear socklets, if that's what they're called, with my gym shoes. Otherwise, it's crew or trail socks.  In your pic with the dark shoes, I think the black socks look better.  I wear socks year-round because my feet get cold, and I just can't stand the feel of shoes without socks or hosiery.  BTW, I even wear socks with my faux Birkenstocks and like the look better than bare feet assuming the socks match the shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

i prefer no show socks. not all if them slip down to the heel. i guess it depends on the brand you buy. 

@freakygirl 

It depends on the shape of your foot.  I have a very narrow heel (AAAA) and have tried many brands, including many with the silicone in the heel to prevent slippage.  They ALL slip down very fast on my narrow heel.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is 'no way' that I wouldn't wear socks in my sneakers.  No way at all.

Even though I use foot powder, I like to wear socks. All types, including cute argyle patterns, etc. in the Winter. 

By the way, I make my own foot powder.  Mix a bit of cornstarch with a bit of baking soda, add a dash of peppermint extract. 

You can experiment and find just the right ratio for you.  

Store in a clean, empty spice jar/container.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@wilma 

A lot of fashion YouTubers say that showing your socks with sneakers ruins your look. It's supposedly "dating" us. Even the women YouTubers over 50 are saying socks can't show anymore. Evidently, wearing ankle socks and crew socks with your sneakers, jeans, and shorts is a real "no- no".  No socks or no show socks are the preferred style now. 

Seriously?    Haven't women yet been able to figure out what works for them .... they think some "fashion expert" moron on YT knows better than they do?   Yes, there are some guidelines that are good to follow .... but now which type of socks you wear supposedly "dates" you?   GMAB

Most women I personally know just aren't that gullible.  

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but if you wear what is now the "correct" socks,  NO ONE will look at you and think you're looking several years younger just because of that oh-so-clever move.   Please!  LOL.   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't care what anyone says, my socks show. Don't like no show socks. I wear compression socks with my sneakers when I walk for exercise.

I think this is probably more focused on fashion sneakers, especially with dresses.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

If we are talking strictly "fashion sneakers" I belong to the no-sock club. In my defense all my fashion sneakers are very lightweight mesh, breathable and I promise my feet don't stink!

Respected Contributor

The only time I wear athletic shoes is in the early morning when I am exercising.  I do not wear them casually.  I wear the low cut athletic socks and they do show just a bit.  

I wear Sheec socks and they do not fall down.  They make no show athletic socks in a couple of different cuts that do not show at all.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma well I wear socks with my sneakers especially in cold weather. I'm not that worried about what the you tubers tell me about fashion. 

I wear socks in the summer too if I'm working out. I don't like having the sneaker or biking shoe rub on my foot so having the sock there is just more comfortable.

Just my opinion, I realize others may feel differently.