Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone here wear Crepe?

[ Edited ]

I really like that dress except for something a teeny bit off about the waist. Too low?  Not enough fabric definition (contrast in color, a slight band, thickness)? Too much fabric definition? I don't know what, exactly. 

In any event, I think it's a sharp-looking dress. 

I hand wash everything from silk to wool. In cold water. I've hand washed crepe. 

Honored Contributor

Crepe is a method of weaving using twisted fiber   The fiber can be anything from fine silk to cotton.  Polyester is commonly used in lieu of silk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not now.  I've seen anything in crepe in years.  Probably because it's the $$$ section of the $$$ stores I no longer shop in.  Years ago, when I wore office attire, I had two crepe skirts.  A line midi skirts that I wore with boots, I had a navy and a black.  I loved the skirts.  As I lost weight, I had them altered twice because I didn't want to stop wearing them until I absolutely had too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Crepe is a method of weaving using twisted fiber   The fiber can be anything from fine silk to cotton.  Polyester is commonly used in lieu of silk.

@Kachina624   The best items I have gotten from QVC are crepe pants from the designer (whose name I cannot recall at this moment), Australian with blond hair who sells on Evine now and crepe items from LDO and Bob Mackie.  The poly crepe is very nice and I am saddened that the pants are no longer of the quality these were of long ago and the quality of the EF pants that I still wear, same with LDO and Bob Mackie pants.

I had some  beautiful silk crepe dresses earlier in life and my beautiful mother had several.  It was a very fashionable fabric with sequins and beads for evening wear when she was young.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  But only wool crepe.  No synthetics and no silk; the silk is too hard to care for and wrinkles far too easily for me.  For days when a suit is required for work, I usually wear pencil skirt and short jacket made of wool crepe.  I also have a vintage Dana Buchman Luxe wool crepe outfit, which is a matching pencil skirt and portrait collar zip back top.  

Esteemed Contributor

Crepe is a common fabrication, I have known about it since I was a child in the 60s, my family sewed, so I am familiar with fabrics.  I am guessing the fabric is older than that.  It refers to the weaving, not the material. l Polyester crepe is very common.  I have owned many items in crepe; wool, poly, and blends come to mind, but I don't think I wear any crepe currently.  It has a little bit of texture.  Silk is supposed to be dry cleaned.  That is what I do with silk, but I think it does limit its lifetime.  I hate dry cleaning.  I don't think it cleans very well.  There are places that charge a fortune to do dry cleaning, and presumably do a good job, but I don't want to pay for that.  So I wear very little silk.  My mom was very good at hand washing, and she would hand wash silk.  If you can do that well, or know someone who does, that is another way to go.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Apparently Crepe is usually made from silk, wool or synthetic fabric.  I looked it up.  That dress is over $300.00,  But a lot of it was because of the slik.  Loved the dress, but I can't swing the price now.   I tell you one thing, I'm buying more and more natural fibers now.  Very expensive, but worth it.  They seem to last longer then poly stuff.  I already have my eye on two tops that are 100% Linen.  I'll have to iron but they are gorgeous.   It started with premium jeans.  Now I'm looking more and more of skirts/dressus made from natura fibers.

Polyester is far more durable than any natural fabric.  It takes a lot of abuse and continues to perform.  That is why it is so popular: machine wash.

Esteemed Contributor

Some QVC crepe - this is Louis Dell Ollio

a288390.008.jpeg