Honored Contributor

Re: Do you dress to cover scars?

[ Edited ]

I have hands that look like they have been burned in a fire. People ask me all the time how I burned my hands. I have never burned my hands. They got this way because I have an autoimmune condition / disease called scleroderma. I'm very self-conscience about my hands and I'm always hiding them. I tend to buy tops with pockets so I can hide them in winter. During the warmer summer months I wear a lot of loud bracelets thinking they might take away any attention to my hands...but I don't think that works very wellWoman TongueWoman LOL

Such a great topic @Andreatoo

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

I can only imagine how that effects you. I had a good friend my last year of high school that suffered from juvenile arthritis. Her hands were very distorted and swollen. She fielded questions and comments on a regular basis.

Valued Contributor

@Andreatoo.....The beauty of pracasil is that it's compounded. So, on doctors orders, the pharmacist can add antihistamines or steroids to the base. They've also had success in healing diabetic wounds, which I understand are difficult to heal. And it should help with keloids. My scar was raised and is better now.

My info comes from my pharmacist. I have no relationship to the product other than having used it. I didn't have anything added in, and filled the script twice, as did my husband, so it wasn't a long-term thing. Both his scars and mine were fresh, but I understand it does help with older scars.

HTH.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a very small scar on my nose after biopsies for skin cancer. I hardly notice it but when I put my make-up on every morning, I use concealer on it and then put my foundation on top of it. That just about eliminates the small scar.

Respected Contributor

I also have a scar from open heart surgery.  My first surgery was 5 years ago when I was 38.  About 2 months after, I wore a blouse that my scar showed to church.  An older lady told me I really needed to keep it covered.  I have never bothered to worry about whether it was covered or not.

Trusted Contributor

@Gram W. I have a scar on my neck also from cervical repair, it has faded that I hardly notice it.

I'd much rather see a surgical scar than some of the body jewelry or obnoxious tattoos some have (not all tatoos). What are those things that look like hose washers in the ear lobes?  Do they mean something? Once we had to remove a stud earring from a ****** in the ER. Talk about learning something new.

Honored Contributor

Scars on my legs and I am nervous about people seeing those.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

It is much more important to be a beautiful caring person on the inside than to be drop dead gorgeous on the outside.  It is up to each of us to be the best we can inside and out.   We all have scars of some kind and not all are visible.  

I especially enjoy being around preschool age children.   They are quick to see our visual "flaws".  They ask questions innocently, accept the answer and proceed with the interaction.   No judgements.   They accept all "nice" people.   In today's world it is so hard to protect their innocence and quest to begin  new adventures while protecting them from all those who mean them harm.   Once in school it is difficult to protect them.  Bullys are on the play ground even in kindergarten.

Honored Contributor

@Gram W

I understand your concern but today's world, as far as mean people go, is no different from yesterday's world; you just hear about more...

Honored Contributor

My husband has many serious scars on his lower legs, he lived through a life changing accident and they are essentially battle scars.

He has no problem wearing shorts and if any one ask he will tell them, on occasion he will joke and say shark bite or something else.

He is lucky to have survived the accident which happened over 30 years ago and the scars do not really bother him 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.