Honored Contributor

Do you dress to cover scars?

I had a double bypass about five years ago and I have a pretty gnarly keloid in the middle of my chest. I still wear what I want to wear. If it's covered it's only because it's a high-neck top that I like. Granted I do not wear anything cut down to my navel but it does not stop me from wearing a v-neck shirt. I do however have to be careful with certain fabrications that can be dense and rub against it and irritate.

It came up because I ran into somebody I hadn't seen in years and when he asked me if I'd had a surgery it actually caught me off guard because I forget it's there. 

Just curious about others thoughts on the matter

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you dress to cover scars?

[ Edited ]

I have.  When my port was in for chemo, it sat a tiny bit taller than my chest and was red.  It would show with certain summer t-shirts.  It was taken out last summer and the scar has faded.  It's not really an issue now unless I'm getting a massage, then they ask about it.

Valued Contributor

I have scars too. Their sensitivity bothered me most. I don't dress to cover them. I used pracasil on them. I recommend it for scars to anyone who will listen. It can be used even on old scars. It's expensive, and can only be gotten by prescription from a compounding pharmacy. My husband used it on both his knees after double knee replacement last year. 

I know this isn't totally what the OP was about but thought the info might help.

Trusted Contributor

I have a scar on the top of my right hand that I had sustained when I was in middle school. I was playing in the snow when someone swung a shovel, & I put my hand up to cover my face as it was coming my way!  As a preteen, I thought this ugly, red scar was awful, & I was very self-conscious about it. I wore long sleeves as long as I could so I could pull my sleeve down over it. But, of course, as I matured, I realized that anyone who'd judge me because of it wasn't worth knowing anyway. That was decades ago, & it's faded over time, but every once in a while, someone will notice it & ask me how I got it. That's the only time I remember it's there! Funny, what we think is a big deal during those awkward years...

Honored Contributor

@KLm

Do you know if it works on keloids? I'm not so interested for myself but more for my daughter. She unfortunately inherited the predisposition from both parents! She has a couple of acne scars that keloided but fortunately not on her face

Honored Contributor

I have some significant surgical scars but they are on my abdomen, so I don't have any problems.  However, if I had a visible scar, I wouldn't try to hide it.  Scars are not something to be ashamed of and I'd have no problem dealing with rude people who would have the audacity to ask about it.  My friend's daughter is gorgeous woman, she's about 40.  She has some scarring on her back and one shoulder....she was scalded by hot water in the tub when she was a toddler.  She doesn't try to hide it, she says it's part of who she is, she's never known life without it.  She wears two piece bathing suits and tank tops and anything else she wants to wear.  She wore a strapless wedding gown.  In another thread, we talked about how the world has changed and how attitudes change.  In years past, people hid things like that but I don't think people do that today.  We have a healthier attituded about such things. 

Trusted Contributor

I had neck surgery 9 years ago.   I had C3 thru C7 replaced, metal rod and fusion.  I have a large scar across the front of my neck.  It looked like I had slit my throat.  The scar is not that noticeable now.  My surgeon had put it in a natural fold in my neck so as it fades it is becoming less noticeable.   At this point in time if people see it I would think they are standing a little to close and I would hope they would look at my eyes when talking to me.   At the beginning people did ask questions because you could not  miss seeing it.  Also people saw me wearing a Chicago neck brace for many weeks.   Strangers will find reasons to stare at everyone if they wish.  I never let things like that bother me.  Life is to short.

Honored Contributor

No...........it's a big one on my leg......and you can see the plate sticking out thru my skin..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't have significant scars but I do have some.  I have some on my back from an accident when I was a very young child.  These don't exposed often so not a problem.  As for other things, since I have gotten older any little thing will leave a scar, a red mark, a bruise, etc.  I use Mederma constantly and it really does help.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

FYI if anyone has a fresh scar I highly recommend Bio-Oil. I had a bit of some skin cancer that I had removed about 18 months ago on my shoulder. It was a very nasty surgical sight when the doctor finished with me. She even apologized and recommended that I may want to seek a plastic surgeon when it heals. I used Bio-Oil diligently and my scar has all but disappeared! Its virtually not there! I'm totally sold on this stuff and use it on my lips and hands during our rough winters. Just thought I'd throw out there a cheap, over-the-counter product that really works. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"