Respected Contributor

OK, I'm old, I admit it.  Now someone please explain the idea behind distressed jeans.   I remember when we'd put stones in the washer when we washed jeans so they didn't look new.  However, the distressed jeans are beyond distressed, they are full of holes!   While I can understand teens wanting to make some sort of statement by wearing these things, I do not understand adult women wanting to look like they can't afford decent clothing.  What's the point? Just because these things have become trendy apparel, I, for one will not purchase them. 

What am I missing?  If people had to wear clothes full of holes because they couldn't afford to buy new items in perfect condition, the federal government would have a program to provide "non distressed" jeans. 

Respected Contributor

You're not missing anything, it's just fashion....Does it really need to be explained? 

Honored Contributor

There's no point.  You either like them or don't.  Buy them or don't.  It's really not difficult.

Honored Contributor

I like them.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, it does need to be explained.  Why do sensible people spend a good deal of money on items that look like they came from a landfill?  Back in the 1960's and '70's jeans were patched with colorful items such as flowers, stars, or just plain patches, they were original and artistic.  Jeans full of tears and holes say "look, someone actually paid for this ripped up item"! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Distressed jeans.

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan of distressed jeans, but I realize it's just a fad. A new trend will come along in a few years and we'll see something else! We've all had fashion fads that we've enjoyed when we were younger.....and then we move on! Take a chill pill and relax....this too shall pass!

Respected Contributor

My boss always makes these same jokes and comments about distressed jeans when I wear them.  I think you either get it or you don’t. It’s been mainstream for years now. It’s just something fun and different, denim can be boring otherwise. If you don’t like it that’s cool. But I enjoy it very much.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't wear them but if I did I would feel like I was making a statement against fashion.

I mean we did this in the 60's with all kinds of clothing.

I don't know why other people like them either or how they feel wearing them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Yes, it does need to be explained.  Why do sensible people spend a good deal of money on items that look like they came from a landfill?  Back in the 1960's and '70's jeans were patched with colorful items such as flowers, stars, or just plain patches, they were original and artistic.  Jeans full of tears and holes say "look, someone actually paid for this ripped up item"! 

@this is my nic, would there really be an explanation that would satisfy you? I assumed it was just rhetorical on your part,

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@this is my nic  I couldn't agree with you more!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!