Respected Contributor

Denim and company perfect jersey preshunk!!!!!

I accidentally dried one of a set of perfect jersey tops in the dryer.  I remembered hearing Gary say it was preschrunk so I figured no problem.  Then I went into my closet to compare with the exact same shirt not dried in dryer (I ususally hang tops to dry) and it was at least two inches shorter in sleeves and body length.   I have not tried it on but it was a perfect fit before drying so will probably be a total loss.  I know  Isaac shirts shrink like crazy but I don't remember hearing that they are made from pre shrunk cotten.  I lost weight and dried the Isaac shirts in the dryer and they are way smaller so may can wear them.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Denim and company perfect jersey preshunk!!!!!

@chiclet  So sorry that happened! That must be terribly frustrating! Just to mention, try drying things with no heat. I dry jeans & even towels on no heat, and everthing comes out perfectly. But of course, still lay cashmere flat to dry.

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet   You could try washing it again and then stretch the arms and the length of the sweater. Dry flat. I've done this with some success depending on the fabric. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it still returnable?

I would return it as a defective item if you are within the return window. Q has extended holiday returns.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet I hate when that happens.  I've ruined my fair share of shirts that way.  Sometimes I will hang a wet shirt that I shrunk to stretch the length.  

Honored Contributor

I don't dry anything but sheets, towels, DH's clothes, my home wear (bought a size up), and my undies.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm wondering (I really do not know) might it also be a matter of washing? I wash all my clothing on the gentle cycle and always cold wash/cold rinse.

I was looking at the bath towels, too....I haven't gotten new colors in like 4 years. They still look like new and are still plush. I think their longevity is how I wash & dry them. (But maybe I'll look for the white sales in Jan. to spruce up the bath w/ new colors.)

Here's an on-line remedy to unshrink your cotton garment:

Add enough warm water to your bathtub or sink to cover the clothing and add a capful of baby shampoo or hair conditioner. Agitate the water to mix and soak the cotton item in the water for 30-minutes.

Place a dry towel on a flat surface. Remove your wet clothing from the water and gently wring excess water from the fabric. Lay the clothes on top of the towel, roll it up around your cotton, and gently squeeze the material so that it is damp rather than wet.

Unroll the towel, remove the damp cotton, and lay it out on another dry towel. Gently pull and position the fabric to stretch it to its preshrunk size and shape, and let it air dry. This is a great way to make a shirt larger or even a sweater.

Honored Contributor

I don't like Perfect Jersey but seem to have acquired several pieces of it mostly due to needing those colors.  I've always machine washed and dried it without giving it a thought and have never had any shrinkage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

How hot was the dryer and how long was it in the dryer?  Preshrunk doesn't mean you can stick it in a hot dryer for 40 minutes.  

Respected Contributor

The care instructions for DC perfect jersey says "tumble dry" I would ask for a defective return.