Respected Contributor

Correct Apparel Color Names Count

I recently purchased DG2 cardigan #386-764 in a color called "purple." It's not purple. It's pink with a dusty peachy/beige pink at the top. The image looks purplish to match the color label. I thought I had received the wrong item. I bought the cardigan to match a pair of pale lavender DG2 jeans I have. They look terrible together because the cardigan is not the color that it was labeled. I rarely buy anything from HSN, and it will be more rare now. HSN lost my confidence and gave me a choice between an inconvenient return or a waste of money. For me, correct apparel color names count. Have you ever received something that doesn't match the color name it was given?

image.png

Honored Contributor

Re: Correct Apparel Color Names Count

I work with color and that is definately a toned down pink, designers would call "dusty rose".  I have seen many items labeled "purple" that were  shades of pink.

Purple can be seen in any set of 8 Crayola crayons.  When you get into designer names for colors, the names aren't accurate.

Respected Contributor

so i went to hsn, and looked at it up close. the top two sections look like purple to me. the bottom part is pink for sure, but i see purple.

Honored Contributor

Its not just clothing.  Today I got a Temptations cannister set in "light blue", a color I've bought before.  The color swatch shown was a turquoise/aqua color as were my previous purchases.  What I got was a dull grayish slate blue which will have to go back.  This will cost a fortune in shipping.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily 

Is that the picture that was on the website when you ordered? Or are you saying you didn't look at it and you went by the name alone? I'm asking because the picture you posted doesn't look purple to me it looks more like a mauve.

To answer your question I have received pieces that definitely didn't match the pictures! Fortunately it doesn't happen often

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily  Agree...Q is not very good at naming the colors! Even hosts have questioned the color names as not being a match. 😖

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Its not just clothing.  Today I got a Temptations cannister set in "light blue", a color I've bought before.  The color swatch shown was a turquoise/aqua color as were my previous purchases.  What I got was a dull grayish slate blue which will have to go back.  This will cost a fortune in shipping.

@Kachina624 I'd call CS.  That's Temptation's issue.  You ordered in good faith.

Respected Contributor

Hi, the picture is from the website. I wouldn't have minded (and expected) to have the bright pink parts mixed with the purple. But, the top part is a dusty ballet peach/pink and not a mauve or a purple. Not good for me.

Valued Contributor

On QVC the hosts are always correcting color names, thank goodness because they are so often named inaccurately. I wonder who it is that puts color names on things. I often think it is people who really do not know color.