Honored Contributor

I haven't bought or wore a swimsuit in eons. I am considering buying one online ( if you can believe that). I was wondering if you size up or order your normal size? I'm interested in a one piece or tankini that offers full coverage. 

Respected Contributor

Unless you are buying a QVC brand, (they usually say buy your normal QVC size) the rule of thumb was, go up one size from you dress or pants size.

The fact you have not purchased swimwear in a long time makes it more difficult.  Order 2 sizes, then return one.

Esteemed Contributor

I only buy my swim suits from Lands' End.  They have a lot to choose from and are priced right if you catch them on sale.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Why not browse websites and look at reviews?  Sometimes, people will tell you if you should size up in a manufacturer or not.

A Tankini is a two piece, is this correct?  Why not consider a swim dress for full coverage?  Tankini's aren't always full coverage.  Some can be skimpy because they are sometimes like bikinis where some skin is left to be seen.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Try Swim and Sweat. They tell you if you should order your regular size or order a size up.

Respected Contributor

There is no time like the present to indulge and enjoy!

I like swimsuits, but I do find that every brand has a different fit, so most of the time it is important to try the swimsuits on in person to get the correct size.  Some are numerical--some are just small, medium, etc. I agree either your regular size or one size up will work best.  There are also some suits that have built-in bra support as well.

I mainly use one piece swimsuits when I am in an indoor hotel pool.  They are very good for swimming laps, quite secure, and will not be worn too long (two hours or so.). I do have a strong Land's End two piece that I also use.

If I am at the beach or an outdoor resort hotel, I prefer two piece.  Usually I am in the suit much longer and will have to use the bathroom, and a two piece suit is much easier to remove when wet!  I also like the thinner fabrics, because it will be hot outside.  Tankinis are great because they offer both coverage and convenience. The swimskirt will cover your bottom as needed.  

Enjoy the shopping experience!

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Why not browse websites and look at reviews?  Sometimes, people will tell you if you should size up in a manufacturer or not.

A Tankini is a two piece, is this correct?  Why not consider a swim dress for full coverage?  Tankini's aren't always full coverage.  Some can be skimpy because they are sometimes like bikinis where some skin is left to be seen.

@gertrudecloset I actually saw some cute tankini swimsuits on a website ( something like swim fit) and they were really cute. They offer you a lot of coverage, some have biker short bottoms 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 I haven't purchased a swimsuit in eons either. Over the weekend I saw this one on Instagram that caught my eye. It's by Summersalt. I went on their site, they have some nice swimsuits. Free exchanges and returns.

This one is $95, available in lots of colors

Screenshot_20210607-160705~2.png

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I buy Miracle Suits and love the tummy control.  They are pricy but the straps are wide enough that they don't dig in.

Unless you are buying from a site that says not to, you always order up one size.

When I styled at Dillards, "swim" was right beside me.

Esteemed Contributor

The last suit I bought was for use in an indoor pool I exercised in as part of my PT program.  I had one session with a skirted suit.  A skirt that floats up is very annoying.

I bought a suit online from Vermont Country Store.  The material is kind of puckery, and holds your tummy in.  It is also chlorine resistant.  Can’t tell you how many women asked me about my suit.  Before I knew it, I saw many like it.

Good to share a good product.