Respected Contributor

It seems to term " business casual" is showing up on most in invitations we are getting for various events such as receptions.  These are in a variety of venues from peoples homes to hotel ballrooms to offices. What do I wear? Each time I wear what I deem       "business casual" I see so many different styles of dress I am not sure what it means anymore, or do people just ignore it and wear what they want?  Why is it always added to the invite if it doesn't matter? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Business casual?

[ Edited ]

In my industry/company, business casual came to mean no jeans, tee shirts, sneakers, flip flops...essentially, no extremely casual clothes. On the opposite spectrum, it also meant men did not need to wear ties.

My clothing choices for business casual depended on event and location, as well as who else was attending. The more big shots or clients attending, the nicer my outfit selection. I tended to always opt for "nicer" clothing vs casual for so called business casual.

If it's purely social event, I still dress nicer than some folks...but I am not comfortable going to social events in too casual attire unless they specifically say it's a casual attire event.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Business casual means dressing "in the middle".  No jeans and tennis shoes and on the other end no suit and tie.  Dress in the middle of the two spectrums.

Trusted Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

It seems to term " business casual" is showing up on most in invitations we are getting for various events such as receptions.  These are in a variety of venues from peoples homes to hotel ballrooms to offices. What do I wear? Each time I wear what I deem       "business casual" I see so many different styles of dress I am not sure what it means anymore, or do people just ignore it and wear what they want?  Why is it always added to the invite if it doesn't matter? 

Ask whoever sent the invitation what it means.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Business casual means dressing "in the middle".  No jeans and tennis shoes and on the other end no suit and tie.  Dress in the middle of the two spectrums

ITA @San Antonio Gal! I would probably wear a dress or skirt with blazer or soft jacket. I don't think I'd wear pants.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I was doing a part-time job and I was asked to wear business casual, and I realized I had NOTHING that fit those parameters, so I had to go out and purchase a new wardrobe!

For me, business meant rather formal and stylish but still traditional skirt suit sets, silk blouses, medium to high heels, etc.

My business casual outfits are comfortable neat slacks, loose fitting jacket or sweater over a sedate blouse/top, low heels, or a nice dress that is not overly fitted or fancy. The colors are a bit on the neutral side.

Would I wear that outfit to a reception?  Absolutely not.  I would upgrade and wear something a bit more colorful, pretty and festive, as I am going to an event to enjoy myself, not work.

This week I am going to a reception that asks for cocktail attire.  I have some very, very fancy cocktail dresses (sequins, etc.) that would even be perfect for New Year's Eve.  In this case, I am going to downgrade the request, and wear more conservative party attire--a lovely and elegant dress but nothing too over-the-top.  I try to dress for the venue, the event and the weather!

Honored Contributor

I'm in Arizona.   Business casual?   Your jeans and shirt MUST be clean...and your boots definitely polished.

♥Surface of the Sun♥