Honored Contributor

Re: Big, Dark Eyeglass Frames-- Do You Like Them?

I have a pair of readers with the black squarish frames, but they are not too oversized, that would not work for my small face.

Honored Contributor

Larger frames look great as sunglasses, but as everyday glasses for vision, no IMHO.

Anything that overwhelms the face looks cartoonish and out of place IMHO.  I have a friend (from elementary school) who is pin-thin with a long face and she loved the 70's eyeglass style, large!  When glasses started to get smaller with metal frames, she switched from plastic frames to metal but they were still HUGE!  Dwarfed her face even more but she loved them.  It was funny because a few years ago the frames were almost microscopic (too small for me).... but she decided to go smaller and we all thought that was great until we saw her and her glasses were maybe 5 millimeters smaller than her originals but the same shape and general size.  It was her comfort level and we told her she looked great.... and she did!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like big plastic frames either. First they make my nose sweat and I end up pushing them up constantly. Second, I am blind as a bat so my lenses are quite thick. My glasses are super expensive so I can't afford to go trendy since they are the first thing on and the last thing off every day. I get rimless glasses that the store specifically makes for me. They look good on some people but my face is to small for them. Since I have to wear them I need to go more for what works and not the latest trend.

Valued Contributor

I HATE the dark plastic frames!  You look at a person's face and all you can see are the glasses!  Since I have to wear glasses every waking moment, I want them as unobtrusive as possible.  I wear the totally rimless ones.  I need to update my prescription.  Looks like maybe I should have got new glasses a year ago. Smiley Sad

Another thing:  I wear fitover sunglasses whenever I leave the house because I have to wear my prescription glasses all the time.  How in the world would you ever get fitovers big enough to over some of those monster glasses???

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Super Contributor

Just switched from wire frames to black, large "cat eye" style glasses. wasn't sure at first, but I have fallen in love with them! Tons of compliments, and eye makeup really "pops" with the dark frames. I have short platinum hair & blue eyes. Very happy that I ditched the wire frames!

Honored Contributor

Last year I got new glasses and had to get trifocals so they had to be larger. I got plastic frames but dark glasses are not a good look with my very light coloring so I got ones that ombre from clear to a light pink.I'm not crazy about them but they were the best choice for my coloring.

Respected Contributor

No. It think it overpowers the face. I try to find a frame that flatters my face instead of a popular frame.

No

J.Crew's 'Style at Any Age' campaign wants all woman to know they can dress chic no matter their age.

Yes

Trendsetting Eye Wear- A vast selection of the most fashionable frames for men or women.  Designer looks at an affordable price!:

Women Wearing Rimless Glasses | Silhouette rimless eyeglasses for women stands for independence and ...:

Respected Contributor

i don't wear glasses except for sunglasses and yes a couple are fairly large.  i don't particularly care for the overly large frames on women unless they have the face for them and they are usually worn by the artistic avant garde.

Trusted Contributor

I've been wearing glasses for 40 years.  I recently got 2 new frames.  Both identical plastic frames, one in black and one in steel blue.

I have a very small head and gratefully Ray Ban has a kids line that don't have race cars or bows on the side!

I do like the look of the plastic frames over the wire or frameless on me.  They suit my style better.

Shotly after I got the new glasses I noticed that they are nearly identical to the glasses my dad wore in his HS graduation picture from 1967.  What goes around, comes around I guess! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I don't mind them, but these go a little too far...

Hideous and WAY over the top. They look RIDICULOUS.