Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Way over the top, yet I actually wear everything in my closets!

In fact, I clean closets every year and donate anything that has NOT been worn or I'm just tired of and hope someone else will enjoy the item more!

This year I've not been shopping like usual, which has surprised (and pleased) me. My main problem has always been shoes and purses, but I have not purchased either in well over a year!! Dang, I love a new leather something. Smiley Wink 

Another big splurge I have trouble resisting is cotton, silk or linen nightgowns! Or any underwear. Buy one or two? NEVER! There are seven days in the week. Buy seven of everything! Love slipping into the clean sheets with a CLEAN nightgown every night. Have done that since I began earning my own money. <silly grin> Yes, way over the top!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I have a lot more than 150 pieces of clothing.  And I'm ok with that.

Respected Contributor
I think I have over 150 shoes and boots, lol. I probably don’t have that many articles of clothing, though. Probably around 100 to 120. Now I am going to have to go count.

I keep my clothing pared down to what I actually wear. With footwear, I may not wear the same shoes or boots all the time. I like to mix it up and they are in great condition, so I do not want to part with them. In addition, I wear an 11 wide, so nice footwear is not easy to come by.
Respected Contributor

I have more then that average for sure...won't need to count to make sure of this LOL!  

I have over purchased in recent yrs and have filled up a few closets.  

And shoes that is another story....I am not over the top on that....I have more candles presently then shoes Woman LOL 

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@Jk9 wrote:

I have more than that average but that is changing as my life changes.  When I was younger and working full time, I had clothes  for specific facets of my life.  I had clothes that I only wore to work.  I had clothes that I wore "out" and for specific social activities.  I had clothes for working out, sports and hiking.   Then there are the kicking around at home, cleaning, yard work and playing with the dogs clothes.   Shoes had the same rules.  Things are different now in my life, I am not as socially active and participating in tennis, snow skiing and sports.  My clothes are making the same transition and I need less.  How people dress has changed and I am changing as well.  It is time to pare down.  I  don't think there is a "one fits all" rule of dressing.

@Jk9 

Your comments are so true. I also had, and to a certain extent, still have clothes for certain purposes. When we were growing up we had our church clothes, nicer casual clothes, around the house clothes, and school uniforms. We never mixed and matched items in those categories.

I definitely think growing up that way is part of the reason why I have a lot of clothes (and, of course, liking to shop). I still have outfits that I only wear to certain places and for certain events. I need to mix things up more and get more usage out of my items. 

Me too.  Certain things are for certain times.  Uniforms growing up.  I have a lot of variety and I like it that way.  I am organized and purge as needed.  I am buying a lot less than in the past and plan on retiring next year.  

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I easily have more than the average number of clothing items.  I see I'm in good company!

I have loved clothes since I was a young girl.  I was an only child for the first 7 yrs of my life, so my mom would take me downtown to shop at the big department stores (before malls).  She, especially, loved buying me pretty dresses.

I attended Catholic schools and wore the same gray and green plaid uniform (not literally) for 8 yrs during grade school and then the same navy blue gabardine uniform and saddle shoes/socks for 4 yrs of high school.  Now, as an adult, I need variety.

Super Contributor

Hi @wilma  I did a quick count and came up with approximately 135, which is no surprise given the lessons I learned from The Big Purge.  I'm so proud of myself!

(It's me...I changed my long-time avatar.)

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Valued Contributor

I think I have less than that. I really can't tell. I will say this though, out of everything I own I probably only wear 10% of it consistently. It's always wear, wash, dry, repeat.  Its rare when I find an article of clothing that I really love so I have my favorites and wear them often. I work from home so my wardrobe is mostly joggers and tees. It's just not that important to me anymore to have all that "stuff". 😂. It's also been on my mind to do a big clean out and free up some space in my closet.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea what's average, or no interest to know where I "fit in."

What I do know is that I have to have things for 4 different seasons, plus formal wear.

Respected Contributor

I have a lot less.  My husband has more clothes than me and he doesn't "like" clothes.  He doesn't like to shop for them, buy them or put any thought into it.