Trusted Contributor
OP is talking about Nordstrom Rack ( the outlet/discount Nordstrom). I would not expect the same service from NR that I would from Nordstrom.
Valued Contributor
lots of stores have great customer service--Anthrologie does this, J Jill, and Title Nine the 2 locally owned boutiques---I would not demand that kind of care, but it's much appreciated---I suspect most stores do this
Super Contributor

I would expect that kind of service at the N & SFA but at their outlets, no I wouldn't think they have enough staff for that kind of CS.

Maybe the sales clerks at the outlets are on commission (as they are in the regular stores), which means the clerks are motivated to fetch a lot of clothes if they think a large purchase is at hand.

Esteemed Contributor

If the clerks are on commission, they should be willing to do what it takes to make $$$.

Personally, I don't have the kind of money required to shop in places where clerks are that attentive. I suppose I would expect it if I shopped at places where you have to drop large amounts of cash for what you buy.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 MargieRJ said:

Nordstrom's for sure will bring items to you. Back a few years ago I was shopping for a new interview suit and other items. The SA was so wonderful and brought in items I wouldn't have necessarily selected myself but worked. She made a big sale that day.

I agree. I do most of my shopping there. The service is great there. Yes, they do wait on you. If I try something on and it doesn't fit or what have you, they are come back with different sizes and colors.

Esteemed Contributor

I really appreciate their help. Here usually they move up and down the dressing rooms asking if you need help. It takes a lot of time taking clothes on and off to get different sizes w/o them. Some know the merchandise so well they will make suggestions even. I try on many clothes - it's exhausting and time consuming w/o them.

Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 ennui1 said:

In nice stores, that's what the attendants do. It all starts with "Can I help you?"

I agree. The tone might have made this woman rude or demanding, but in nicer stores, sales staff is there to assist customers by doing just what this customer was asking. "Professional" sales staff has virtually become a thing of the past but there are stores where they still exist, apparently. I guess I just haven't visited one in quite a while. This also points out the difference between a dressing room and a fitting room. The former consists of a door or curtain and you're on your own..., while the latter consists of that same door or curtain, a bank of mirrors outside the room, your salesperson and, when necessary, a tailor or seamstress.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Nope, I'm the one telling the overly-attentive clerk to please get lost as I'm pretty sure I know how to shop by now!

I have to say that's pretty Princess-y behavior for a outlet store!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I would never do that. Heck, the women at the regular Nordies are on commission and I still get my own clothes and put them back. I'd never appear so "entitled".

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Occasional Contributor
I work at Belk and I spend all day long starting fitting rooms, getting other sizes and colors, checking other stores for items we don't have, and checking the stockroom for items not on the floor. It is my job and I'm glad to help people find what they need. With that said, I am always dismayed to find the fitting rooms in a mess. I don't expect people to put things back on the rack but I don't see a reason to wad everything up and throw it in a heap on the floor. And yes, I have also dealt with a "bathroom" incident in a fitting room. I guess it happens at least once at every store.