Esteemed Contributor

Another Sizing Inconsistency

[ Edited ]

Going back several months ago I got a pair of D & C Original Waist stretch pants in a dark denim, (Indigo) and surprise surprise they were a perfect fit. Took a chance last week and ordered another pair, different lighter shade of denim. Naturally even though I got the same size they are shorter in length and tighter in the leg. Back they go.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Sizing Inconsistency

Were you shopping at the Q. when they first started up...and the claim was...once you find your exact size...you can order that size for every brand and it will fit you perfectly....what a joke...

I have four or five pair of those same pants you speak of....different colors...each fits me differently...but wearable enough not to send them back....haven't bought any in a while...almost afraid to...its so costly to return ....

Honored Contributor

This seems to happen pretty much all the time to me, with all brands and companies.  I would say in the last few years.  And it happens even if you buy the same size and color at the same time.  Although, I do think the sizing is most inconsistent in pants, as opposed to tops.  Those just shrink two sizes, no matter how they're washed.

With the prices rising, sizing inconstant, and chintzy materials--everywhere, not just here--I don't buy clothes much at all anymore.  Still wearing my old stuff, which fit and lasts.

Esteemed Contributor

It's so aggravating that you can't count on anything anymore. Not to mention the cost of returns. I hate having to go to stores to try on jeans but at least it doesn't cost anything. Well only the gas to get yourself there and back home.But at least you come home with something that you know fits.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I noticed the price increased when they started to have Gary come on the shows to stand there stretching the waists of pants most of the show.

Honored Contributor

@geezeretteI so agree.  I am closet shopping big time right now -  and what I'm finding is better fabric and fits me better than most of the new things I've gone to try on locally.

Your post also reminds me of an experience had had some years ago when I was pants shopping at Nordstrom right after I'd lost some weight and had no real idea what size to buy.  The associate gave me pants in several sizes to try -  and then once I decided which size, she insisted I try all the pants they had in that style in the same size.  They're never alike, according to her, and we weren't even looking at different colors or different style numbers in the same brand.

Sizing is the reason I still buy over 90% of my clothes locally!

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl@millieshops@StraytoStay@geezerette@circles

Ladies, about 50 or more pieces of fabric are lazer cut according to the pattern, then the pieces go to sewing machine operators which may be slightly more skimpy or generous with the seams.  

Occasionally, you may be lucky and get two operators who sew alike, but not often.

Honored Contributor

I assume the OP is talking about the standby 2-pocket pants.   I can only say that I literally have dozens of these pants,  all in the same size,  all fit the same. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ECBGI know that before lazers were used, the piles of fabrics being cut weren't cut exactly the same as the piles could shift, so even before pieces reached the sewing machines, there were differences.

Of course, all these facts explain why the differences in some garments, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ECBGI know that before lazers were used, the piles of fabrics being cut weren't cut exactly the same as the piles could shift, so even before pieces reached the sewing machines, there were differences.

Of course, all these facts explain why the differences in some garments, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

@millieshops,Bless your heart.  I know.  In one way we all shop with a basket of frustrations.  As a true hour glass shape, I feel your pain.  All we can do is hold hands.Smiley Happy