Frequent Contributor

Re: All Nylons Out Of Style?

I'm 59.  I wear maxi dresses to hide my ugly legs and bunion foot.  Personally I think nylons, pantyhose, or tights if done right look sexy.  

Regular Contributor

Yes, especially in warm climates. Wear them if you want. My daughter doesn't wear them, nor do I. She's very fair and being "tan" isn't everyone's choice, natural or not.
Valued Contributor

I like Falke brand, they have a very sheer style that is around $25.  I used to wear stockings 5 days a week and didn't have trouble getting lots of wear out of each pair.  Anyway I like the ones that are very sheer and noticed they recently added some new neat textured styles.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

It's funny to me how many are making panty hose (what we always called them) like something out of the 19th century or even as far back as corsets.Woman LOL

I don't remember calling them nylons. I don't like the way most tanning lotions look either and I don't like the feel of any tanning lotions.

Panty hose or "nylons" may have been out of style for decades for some but not for others.

I would wear them or tights with a dress and if a long dress I might wear leggings under it in winter. I still have some really pretty panty hose. They are not all just beige or

boring. 

I also don't know how people can wear shoes without some kind of socks or hose or tights! It is so uncomfortable. I do think panty hose make legs look better too for most.

The only time I wouldn't wear hose with a dress is in summer with flip flops.

So many different opinions but they have not been out of style for many. Maybe on the runway  and for most young people I know who don't wear them.

@on the bay Yes and yes! Agreed! I myself dislike the orangy, fake self-tanner look. And for those (like me), who have light skin look best in a sheer hose. It's weird to me that so many people on here think hose is archaic. I was just in a wedding, not long ago, and I did not see too many women with bare legs. It's our own personal style, I guess. If it looks good on me, I'm wearing it. 

Honored Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

I like Falke brand, they have a very sheer style that is around $25.  I used to wear stockings 5 days a week and didn't have trouble getting lots of wear out of each pair.  Anyway I like the ones that are very sheer and noticed they recently added some new neat textured styles.

@persiflage,

Yes! That is also what we called them. Stockings! I knew there was another word before panty hose. 

I have neat textured ones tooSmiley Happy

Also a sheer black with a tiny rhinestone flower near the ankle.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I think the only thing out of style or out of date today is saying something is out of date or not in style.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I really dislike seeing a woman dressed up for a special occasion exposing her veiny, bruised or sun damaged legs. It totally ruins the look. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have beautiful caramel brown legs and wear sheer hosiery with dresses and skirts. I also usually wear a slip with those dresses and skirts too.  When I see dresses crawling into body parts where they shouldn't I always think those women should see a "don't" photo of themselves and wear a slip or pantyhose too.  The bottom line for me is I have never been one to let trends dictate what I wear, so I could care less whether the so-called "it" fashion dictators say hosiery is in or not. 

Trend or not, I think a lot of average women stopped wearing hosiery because the price per wear is so great. Most hosiery is only good for a few wearings and some brands only last for one or two, yet even a cheap pair of nylons is at least $8.  The better brands go upwards of $20 and there is Sheertex which is $100.   

I agree with those who mention leggings. Some of the same women who complain about hosiery being uncomfortable and hot will be the ones wearing nylon or polyester with spandex leggings on a 100-degree day. 

Honored Contributor

I enjoy reading responses from women who still do what they feel is right for them to achieve a polished look, regardless of the current trend.  I was not impressed to see several of our First Ladies at very important events with unattractive bare legs showing.  Those legs are quite noticeable in the pictures from those events.  

Regular Contributor

I live in South Florida, retired,  and no one wear pantyhose here, especially in the warmer months.  I remember wearing them all the time in NYC!!   It, no more!