Honored Contributor

Will someone explain to me how they define AGE APPROPRIATE? At 68, I've worked out & maintained a size 4. No, I would NEVER wear a cropped top, shorts, bikini, tight clothing, tees w/ pics of rock bands, over the knee boots, high platform shoes, high heels or leggings. That said, if I enjoy jeans w/ a few "distressed" areas, slim leg jeans, clothes from BR, J Crew and Gap, is there a big "X" at the door for me? When I've looked through fashion magazines or seen ads in other places, the models are 16-20 yrs. old!! There are no fashionable role models my age to take hints from. On PINTEREST, I typed in "OVER 60 STYLE". Most of the women had grey hair, loose knit pants and long tunic tops. I'm not ready to go that route yet! Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

I think most of us just know. All of of a sudden certain things just don't feel right. However , I' a great believer in using a mirror and if the "rules " Don't apply to you ,do as you please.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

There really is no such thing. Wear what you like. We don't all like the same things. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Will someone explain to me how they define AGE APPROPRIATE? At 68, I've worked out & maintained a size 4. No, I would NEVER wear a cropped top, shorts, bikini, tight clothing, tees w/ pics of rock bands, over the knee boots, high platform shoes, high heels or leggings. That said, if I enjoy jeans w/ a few "distressed" areas, slim leg jeans, clothes from BR, J Crew and Gap, is there a big "X" at the door for me? When I've looked through fashion magazines or seen ads in other places, the models are 16-20 yrs. old!! There are no fashionable role models my age to take hints from. On PINTEREST, I typed in "OVER 60 STYLE". Most of the women had grey hair, loose knit pants and long tunic tops. I'm not ready to go that route yet! Any suggestions?

@Shanus I'm with you!!  I wear all that you said also and I am 3 years older than you!!  Lets just keep doing what we do and enjoy it!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

"over the knee boots"

I have a pair

"or leggings."

I wear them as well as my 92 yr old mother.

"Age is just a number."

FWIW, I'm 66. The same age as Helen Merrin when this photo was taken...

Helen_Mirren_615712a.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

if you can rock your chosen fashion style, look decent, and don't look trying too hard, then stick with that. i've seen many women our age who dress the same way as you, and they look comfortable in their own skin. definitely not like someone who's trying to look younger. i've seen a much older woman who was very slim, wear a masculine attire - a man's suit paired with mannish loafers, and she looked really fashionable. i couldn't help staring!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, Just read it as "choice appropriate", at our age, that's the name of that tune!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Wear what makes YOU feel good; not what others deem 'appropriate'!

Honored Contributor

Re: AGE APPROPRIATE?

[ Edited ]

I don't care what people think of me. I wear whatever I want. The only times I will ever "conform" is when there is an occasion when attire has been appointed for a special event. Other than this, I wear what is comfortable and what I like.

Esteemed Contributor

How about actress Jaclyn Smith as someone who always dresses nicely? She has a public facebook page. I don't buy her clothing line from K-Mart since her clothes are not sold in Canada but she always looks nice in their ads. If she's on the cover of a magazine, I'll buy it.