Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I have always been a bit outré regardless of my age

I love outre in theory but can't seem to quite pull it off -- or figure out how to get the accent over the "r."

@tansy    For an accented "é" on a PC, hold down the "alt" key and 0233 at the same time.   You need to use the numerical key pad with the "lock" ON.

Dangit -- lol -- I mixed up the e and the r.  😜

Thank you.

I'm on an iPad though.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: AGE APPROPRIATE?

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Shanus

I typed in "OVER 60 STYLE". Most of the women had grey hair, loose knit pants and long tunic tops. I'm not ready to go that route yet! Any suggestions?

Type in age appropriate clothing....

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at Tue, Nov 15, 2016-1.33.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-15 at Tue, Nov 15, 2016-1.34.15 PM.png

If Nancy is only 53 then I'm 33!

Looks like this 'age appropriate' business cuts both ways! She's really aging herself!

@Andreatoo

@Shanus

Let's put some context to these photos. They are from the book Staging Your Comback: A Complete Beauty Revival for Women Over 45 by author Christopher Hopkins. In the before photo Nancy was 20 pounds heavier. I own this book and I would recommend it even though it was published in 2008 as the book is fun, informative, and relevant.

At some point or another I think many of us get stuck in a rut beauty and fashion wise and just need some good ideas on what others did or are doing to refresh their style. This book has some great ideas. Take a look inside the book on Amazon to get an idea of what this book is like. The women profiled in this book are various ages and body types.

Honored Contributor

I wear what's most comfortable, physically & spiritually.

It's easy to stay authentic and real. 

Valued Contributor

Just a little "funny". I was in Ross the other day looking at their clothing, and saw some jeans.  Liked the color so pulled them out for a closer look and saw some rips.  I immediately thought, oh, I need to tell a clerk because these jeans are damaged. Then it hit me.  I guess I am a bit behind!Woman Wink I would NEVER wear jeans like that, but I won't make that determination for others. To each, his own.  I recently bought a tunic top from Zulilly and added the leggings (Walmart) with it.  The top is just too cute. I guess at 65 I may be a little :too old" for that "style", but the outfit is so skinking cute! The tunic covers my "stylishly large" booty very well.

Respected Contributor

I am 67 and I do not dress "my age" I like to be noticed when I walk into a room and with my husbands help I usually am. He is my best critic and if I look a bit "frumpy" he tells me and I appreciate it. 

I look at some of the show host's and I wonder, do their husbands not critique them before they go to work? Do they not see some of the things their wives wear on air?

I am so glad I have a husband that wants me to look good and helps me choose styles that look best on me.Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Esteemed Contributor

Very interesting conversation, ladies.   Like some have said, the style/clothing I wore in my 30's I still wear today (I'm 67).  I was never "trendy" which has served me well.    We need to wear clothing that is comfortable in styles and colors we love - if we feel good, we look good.   It's not just the clothes, or just the hair, or just the makeup - it's the whole package.  It's an attitide.   Don't go all oversized and dowdy just because you hit 50.  Where does it say that if you become a grandma, you have to dress like one?  We should wear clothing that compliments our face and body and makes us look good no matter our age.  By a certain age, we all should know what makes us look good.  And wear a confident, feel-good-in-your-skin attitude. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I don't know what the OP is complaining about -- it's a blessing that you take care of yourself and look good.  That's all that should matter. :-)

Obviously, the majority of women over 60 do not take care of themselves as you do and so it is logical that you will see the fashions you described when you google "over 60".

As far as this picture of HM.... I think she looks good in the bikini for her age. However, if she wanted to look great, IMO she should wear a one piece bathing suit with a lot more support up top.  My philosophy is...it's all about wearing what flatters you most, not necessarily wearing something "because you can".

Helen_Mirren_615712a.jpg

I remember when everyone was going gaga over this photo when it first came out.

I may be the only one but I don't for 1 minute believe this is an untouched photo of Helen Mirren.  This is heavily photoshopped and I would bet those rockin abs were added in.

Esteemed Contributor

I always told Mom that she was just buying the same thing over and over again -- the same she was wearing 30 years ago. We had to hunt down pants that were cut the same way, and she couldn't wear anything else. When crop pants came out, I wanted her to wear a pair. No way. She believed she looked good in what she wore and never deviated no matter which way fashion would go.

This was my lesson to myself: always move along with fashion, hairstyles, and yes, makeup. Everything changes: eyebrows, lipsticks, blushes, contouring, highlighting.  

If you cannot wear exactly the fashion or style hair, make small adjustments so it's suitable for you.

I learned from Mom: don't get stuck in a time warp.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Will someone explain to me how they define AGE APPROPRIATE? At 68, I've worked out & maintained a size 4. No, I would NEVER wear a cropped top, shorts, bikini, tight clothing, tees w/ pics of rock bands, over the knee boots, high platform shoes, high heels or leggings. That said, if I enjoy jeans w/ a few "distressed" areas, slim leg jeans, clothes from BR, J Crew and Gap, is there a big "X" at the door for me? When I've looked through fashion magazines or seen ads in other places, the models are 16-20 yrs. old!! There are no fashionable role models my age to take hints from. On PINTEREST, I typed in "OVER 60 STYLE". Most of the women had grey hair, loose knit pants and long tunic tops. I'm not ready to go that route yet! Any suggestions?

Age appropriate clothing is about understanding the difference between trying too hard and being uncomfortable with your age. Just because you're a size 2 doesn't mean you should. It's about the nuances in fashion where torn jeans look fine on a young woman but make me look like I am trying too hard....a woman in her 60's. 

Respected Contributor

"Trinity11 - Age appropriate clothing is about understanding the difference between trying too hard and being uncomfortable with your age. Just because you're a size 2 doesn't mean you should. It's about the nuances in fashion where torn jeans look fine on a young woman but make me look like I am trying too hard....a woman in her 60's." 

I like what you said here.  I think most of us understand what this term means, and if your eye doesn't tell you the truth in the mirror, just ask your best friend.  The last thing I want to do is look ridiculous.  That ages a female quicker than gray hair.