Honored Contributor

Re: A first , QVC made me cry.

thanks @dooBdoo ......for some reason i did not even think to check out her facebook page.

i think what you said about self assurance, journeys, confidence, insecurity, strength, and support are all spot on! we all know that everyones journey is different from start to finish......some choose to share, some dont......we should all respect each unique journey and the telling of it if someone chooses to share.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

thanks @dooBdoo ......for some reason i did not even think to check out her facebook page.

i think what you said about self assurance, journeys, confidence, insecurity, strength, and support are all spot on! we all know that everyones journey is different from start to finish......some choose to share, some dont......we should all respect each unique journey and the telling of it if someone chooses to share.

@sunshine45,  You're welcome, and thank you!   I agree with your thoughtful post.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Some here tend to think that all we have to do in life is to love and appreciate ourselves no matter who we are or who we look like.

That's all fine and dandy except for those people who, because of their different race or ethnicity, can't just overcome what is thrown at them by looking in the mirror and repeating a cliche.

I think you nailed it. Empathy is victorious over privilege when you recognize this reality and understand it through that empathy.

People are people, Anyone at anytime can feel unappreciated and that goes for all races, ethinicity, religions and so on. Humans have a hard time loving themselves and try hard to find that validation through other people. My own mother who grew up in an Italian speaking household always told us kids growing up how she felt so inferior to the other girls in high school and those feelings carried with her until the day she died. 

I'm not sure why this host wanted to share her story while selling things but I find it interesting that reading the comments is so ironic, Seems a lot of folks don't think ti was approriate for her to talk about herself yet, the posters had no trouble sharing their own stories about growing up and fitting in! 

Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008  Maybe you don't need the item described to you but isn't that the job of a host?   I don't watch to be entertained but for those of  you that do you're in luck.   Me I turn the channel.    If I watch 10 minutes a day I might be exaggerating.    This will never happen, but I miss the days when in an hour long show 10 or more items would be shown.   Boring now to me anyway.

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Some here tend to think that all we have to do in life is to love and appreciate ourselves no matter who we are or who we look like.

That's all fine and dandy except for those people who, because of their different race or ethnicity, can't just overcome what is thrown at them by looking in the mirror and repeating a cliche.

I think you nailed it. Empathy is victorious over privilege when you recognize this reality and understand it through that empathy.

People are people, Anyone at anytime can feel unappreciated and that goes for all races, ethinicity, religions and so on. Humans have a hard time loving themselves and try hard to find that validation through other people. My own mother who grew up in an Italian speaking household always told us kids growing up how she felt so inferior to the other girls in high school and those feelings carried with her until the day she died. 

I'm not sure why this host wanted to share her story while selling things but I find it interesting that reading the comments is so ironic, Seems a lot of folks don't think ti was approriate for her to talk about herself yet, the posters had no trouble sharing their own stories about growing up and fitting in! 

@PinkSunset, regarding your last paragraph, I think that the answer you might get from some posters is that what might be appropriate in a personal conversation is not necessarily viewed that way when it comes to selling products. I'm rather neutral on that.

As to your first paragraph, I truly wish that we could understand that some people are born with distinctions that are not just a matter of feeling unappreciated. That kind of view puts us all on the same footing.

But that is simply not true and is an affront to many.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I'd like to know where all these blonde/blue eye people are, besides MN  When I look around anywhere in the US, most people have brown hair and brown eyes. It is the most common combination here.

Natural red and blonde hair is not common at all and scientists are claiming these recessive traits will become extinct. 

I guess that makes me soon to be rare; although I'll be long gone by the time they declare us a protected species.  How special do I feel Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 I thought it was interesting how she described herself as being half Persian, since  the name was officially changed to Iran in 1935, which was probably way before the birth of either of her parents. Why not just say I have middle Eastern roots, or one of my parents is from Iran. The whole idea that there was not anyone in  her area growing up that looked like her is far fetched. She has dark hair and eyes and a little bit of a olive or tan complexion. Many many many people  in her hometown area have thiese features, maybe not of  middle easatern descent, but still have these same features. 

Not everyone in the south is blonde and fair.

Sorry to say I am dissappointed in her for bringing up these type of feelings because the issue is not real, maybe just real in her imagination.

I far more respect someone like Chritanne Amanpour, who embraced her cultural background, became a mover and a shaker in broadcast journalism and is respected worldwide.  Her mother was British and her father Iranian.

Honored Contributor

I thought when CK mentioned she was Persian right out of the gate, she was being pretentious. What does anyone expect from people who will say and do anything to sell a product. CK may indeed have felt less than because of her dark looks, but selling product is not the place to share it. QVC needs to check themselves and people need to not be so gullible.

Trusted Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

That is good SilleeMe , but sometimes it is tough growing up being different , i am just glad i didn't grow up in the age of social media. It seems even harder for kids in school now. There has always been bullies in school but now they sit behind a phone or computer and tear others down for not being the norm. 

I agree. Just look how many contributors are criticising this very short, but tender moment. How cynical have we become that we can't just appreciate a moment for what it is.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

We are all different in one way or another.   It's when you start to compare yourself and judge yourself in comparison that it becomes your problem.  If we are taught to accept ourselves for who we are and find our talent and share that, then we'd all be happier.

@rms1954   Very well said.

@Shanus 

@rms1954 

Perhaps in a utopia world, but that's not how the real world works.  Representation matters.  You can feel 100% confident in your skin & identity, and still be judged terribly one way or the other by others.  That emotional beatdown is meant to be debilitating and to keep you feeling less.  Imagine telling a kid, "that's your problem."

@Caaareful Shopper   That "emotional beat down" is another name for bullying...rampant in our country & others. Teaching our kids/teens to have a strong sense of self is imperative.