Honored Contributor

Windows 11 found my printers, keyboard, mouse, and everything seems to be working perfectly so far. No hiccups at all yet.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

I updated to WIndows 11 a couple days ago.

Maybe I'm missing something, but everything looks pretty much the same to me.

SO.....I don't get it.  What are the big changes?

Honored Contributor

@hick wrote:

I updated to WIndows 11 a couple days ago.

Maybe I'm missing something, but everything looks pretty much the same to me.

SO.....I don't get it.  What are the big changes?

There's a bit more security built-in. The start button and main menu have been moved more to the center of the screen. A few cosmetic changes here and there. There's nothing terribly dramatic. If you're good with Windows 10 you'll be fine with Windows 11. I was a little nervous about my printers working with it (one's from 2013 and the other is from 2015) but they're both working fine. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I took the plunge and installed Win11 on my desktop. This is day2 of using it and so far so good. To me it doesn't seem to be any different from Win10. It did take up some more of my RAM to load it but other than it seems to be fine.

Respected Contributor

My new Windows 11 HP laptop so far is working perfectly; it found everything (e.g. printer), transferred documents, photos, all files, bookmarks on browser, everything I need, and it did it automatically from my old Win. 10 HP, couldn't be happier.

Valued Contributor

@author wrote:

My new Windows 11 HP laptop so far is working perfectly; it found everything (e.g. printer), transferred documents, photos, all files, bookmarks on browser, everything I need, and it did it automatically from my old Win. 10 HP, couldn't be happier.

Hi Author,

Did you purchase the QVC TSV HP Laptop?  I just received mine but am not at all tech savvy.  I'm afraid to even turn it on.  You said you were able to transfer all your stuff from your old computer to your new one.  Would you be kind enough to tell me how you did it?  I have lots of 'favorites' that I don't want to lose.  Is there a way to transfer those over, also.  If so, how would I do that.  Your time and expertise would be greatly appreciated.  docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I was told I would have to buy a new computer because you cannot upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11.  Wonder why they made it that way. 

Because the computer manufacturers and the system, hardware and software developers walked down the aisle long ago scratching each others backs.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I was told I would have to buy a new computer because you cannot upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11.  Wonder why they made it that way. 

Because the computer manufacturers and the system, hardware and software developers walked down the aisle long ago scratching each others backs.

It has a lot to do with evolving security threats also. When the first personal computers were developed, they were business tools and educational tools. No one really considered security other than preventing people from physically stealing the computers (hence the Kensington locks on early computers.) Someone physically walking off with the computer was viewed as the biggest risk. Then along came Elk Cloner in 1981, an Apple virus that spread by shared floppy discs. This created absolute chaos in education circles. The first anti-virus companies popped up to stop Elk Cloner. 

The first business computer virus was "(c)Brain" in 1984. Business computers had been thought to be immune prior to then. Since then, thousands of viruses and malware have been unleashed upon the world and security has been increased. (Many computer experts think that the antivirus software makers who lost their Apple customers when Apple tightened security with the first Mac in 1984, created the first PC viruses to create a new market for their software. It's pretty coincidental that PC viruses just happened to strike as the Apple market disappeared.)

The "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM 2.0) necessary for Windows 11, extends security even further and limits the ransomware risk that's becoming one of the more common threats out there. Most computers made in the last few years have TPM modules already or can add a TPM module. Older machines need to be replaced or stick with Windows 10. Upgraded security is not bad thing these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!