Respected Contributor

I have a 2015 macbook air.  I use it for internet, email, and storing photos for the most part.  Is it worth upgrading or is it too "old"?  Lately I have not been able to get on some websites (common ones like Sephora, Home Depot...)  We have a local place that ONLY works on Apple computers so I would trust them to do the work.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl The upgrades include improved security. In this day and age we need all we can get. Perhaps the company that works only on Apple products can give advice about whether or not to upgrade.

Honored Contributor

I have a Lenovo laptop that I bought in 2013 ... running Windows 10.  Still going strong.  (I also have a tablet - but just don't like it.  It was a freebie when i bought a phone about five or six years ago.)

I wait until my computer dies and then go to Best Buy and get the least expensive one to replace it.  They take care of the data swtch.

Technology moves so quickly - no matter what you buy can be "out-of-date" by the time you get it home!

Honored Contributor

For what you're using it for, I'd say what you have is fine unless the repair shop finds something seriously wrong with it. I imagine it will be an easy fix. Perhaps a different browser would work better. As far as security, Apple has always been top of the line. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl I will say what I always say: Run the numbers.  Run the numbers off the Apple web pages and see how much you could get for trading in a 3 year old computer like yours and what the cost would be.

It gives you something to evaluate for the future and to compare to your needs.  I trade in every three to four years and get the warrants.  

It costs me some money, but I figure in the long run I can afford it and I don't really have to worry about having latest security and features, plus the trade in is significant to the cost of the new one.

Factor that against what you get when one is too old to trade in for any amount of money.   

To me, it is simply an expense I need to live now, so I look it like a utility.  Not good, but it works for me.  It's another expense I plan for. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: upgrade worth it???

[ Edited ]

Hi @bargainsgirl you use the word upgrade?  are you asking about updating the software or a repair, or buying a new one? Uncertain about the terminology you are using.

Since you state you are unable to access some websites, I am wondering whether you are updating the software, which is something that needs to be done regularly to keep your internet browser secure.  Apple develops security updates on a regular basis, plus other software enhancements to keep up with technology changes.

I became a macbook user I think in 2013, and have never looked back.  But I update the system software as soon as an update becomes available, so my macbook is always up to date.  macbook software updates are FREE and easy to do, assuming you have wifi.  I do this myself, no repair shop involved.

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update.

or click the System preferences icon  Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 4.04.53 PM.png> Software Update

There does come a time that Apple stops supporting certain hardware, meaning, no more updates.  At that point, buy a new one.  Happened to me with my iphone 5, and mi ipad mini 2.

my macbook was from 2013, but i broke it, really broke it, and bought a new one in 2020.  I never changed the battery in my 2013 one, I just used it plugged in.  The battery died somewhere down the line.  The charge only lasted like 30 minutes when I broke the computer.  I don't know if battery is your issue.  You can try to have that replaced.

Have you contacted apple?  Go to the apple website click macbook, and look for support.  I usually just go through the website for my specific store, but they usually want you to communicate online first.  Uually end up with a call.  Apple staff will speak with you about your equipment even if it is out of warranty.  I have spoken with them several times.  Apple will ask for the serial number.  They will know who you are if you have an apple id, which I would guess you do.  If repair is needed, you can ask them if they would do it.  I would trust them over an independent repair shop.  You can go to an apple store or ship it to them if you are too far from a store.  If you need to ship, I would trust Fed Ex only.  Only do this if directed, of course.

If repair is the issue, it may be worthwhile to buy a new one.  But no reason why you should be having problem with those websites if your software is up to date.

Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe , I have not updated from Catalina yet on my MacBook Pro 2015.  I usually do the updates as I get but when I tried  to install Big Sur it said I didn't have enough space.

Any help with this issue?  Your thoughts appreciated.  I think most of my space is probably photos...

TIA.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: upgrade worth it???

[ Edited ]

Hi @Lilysmom1 I am not an expert on this, I have not run out of storage (I use icloud), but you can start by seeing what is actually taking a lot of space in your computer by clicking the Apple icon > About This Mac > Storage.  A bar will show the space used and available.  Give it a minute for the bar to populate, and the different color indicate swhat is taking up computer space.  If it is Apps, maybe there are Apps you installed and no longer use, like printer drivers for printers you no longer have, games you no longer play, whatever.  You can delete those.

If it is the photos (assuming icloud is not working for you, that is where I have my pictures), of course you can try and delete some.  If you want them all, you can back them up somewhere and then delete them from your mac to make space.  There are external hard drives you can purchase for storage.  Or you can burn them to a cd or dvd if you have or acquire an external drive.  I found some how tos on line, below.  Make sure you get the correct drive that will work on your computer.  If you value your pictures, don't skimp on price.  Good luck!

for the hard drive

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

for the cd/dvd

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/burn-cds-and-dvds-mchl8addfd95/mac

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe , thank you!  I will check this out and I will also touch base with Apple support.  I don't use it that much but I like to stay current with updates unless there is some issue with them.  This sounds like a good rainy day project!  LM

Respected Contributor

Are you talking about upgrades to the Operating System or purchasing a new computer?  I was not aware that the age of a computer had anything to do with being able to access websites.

I ALWAYS download an update or upgrade to my computer's Operating System to be sure that I have the latest security on hand and any fixes that may be needed.

The iMac I'm using right now is about 6 years old.  It seems to be working fine.  I may decide to trade it for a new one at some point before it does begin to be a problem.