Respected Contributor

Looks like tracfone has increased the prices of their phones, even the TSV and TS specials.  Too bad. they were such a deal when under $99.  One of our phones runs out of service days soon and all plans for 365 days are $99 or more.  We still have TONS of data, talk and text.  Used to be better deal to just buy a new phone which I will probably still do.

Anyone use consumer cellular?  How do they compare?

Honored Contributor

I believe Consumer Cellular is considerably more expensive.  It's easy enough to do a search and compare.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl

If you have all the talk, text, and data you need, and only want to purchase TracFone airtime,

you can buy 365 days for $50. on the TracFone website.  

I've done this a few times each for two phones.

The How-To has been posted here in Electronics many times.

Personally i wouldn't have anything to do with consumer cellular, but then, some people feel that way about TracFone. It depends on how you use your phone and how much you're willing to spend.

My TracFone's does everything I need from a phone, and costs me less than $7.00 a month.

Don't think consumer cellular can match that.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@bargainsgirl

If you have all the talk, text, and data you need, and only want to purchase TracFone airtime,

Personally i wouldn't have anything to do with consumer cellular, but then, some people feel that way about TracFone. It depends on how you use your phone and how much you're willing to spend.

My TracFone's does everything I need from a phone, and costs me less than $7.00 a month.

I have not been able to get the 365 days for 50 bucks unless I buy at least a months worths of minutes, how do you do it? @x Hedge

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl There are still some phones offered at $100 but most of the newest smartphones may be a little more -- then again, those also come with 1500 minutes vs. the older deals coming with 1200 (but no triple minutes for life).

If I like my current phone and still have plenty of battery life and minutes, I just add airtime for $50 as previously stated.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@bargainsgirl

I have not been able to get the 365 days for 50 bucks unless I buy at least a months worths of minutes, how do you do it? @x Hedge

@blackhole99- add the extra minutes to your cart.  It will ask if you want to add the additional 365 days for $50.  Add that and then remove the minutes.  It will leave you with the airtime only for $50 plus tax (well, tax in my state). There may be another way but I know that works.

Honored Contributor

@sueinsf  thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Looks like tracfone has increased the prices of their phones, even the TSV and TS specials.  Too bad. they were such a deal when under $99.  One of our phones runs out of service days soon and all plans for 365 days are $99 or more.  We still have TONS of data, talk and text.  Used to be better deal to just buy a new phone which I will probably still do.

Anyone use consumer cellular?  How do they compare?

@bargainsgirl, I don't use my phone much. I go to Target, buy the $19.99 60 minute card (triples) with 90 days of service. I buy them 4 times a year.

Super Contributor

Re: tracfone prices

[ Edited ]

HSN has the Orbit, 5 inch, with 1500 voice, text and data for $99.  QVC has it for $161.  I just got mine from HSN as mine is due next month for more time. Easier and better to just buy a new phone.  This one has the latest os Oreo. It's a Samsung phone, much better than LG from my experience.

Honored Contributor

Re: tracfone prices

[ Edited ]

I went from Consumer Cellular to ATT GoPhone and now I'm with Tracfone. My service is only for a flip phone that I use for emergency purposes.  I'm happy with that. 

Consumer Cellular raised their rates and ATT no longer offers the GoPhone...it's called something else and costs more.

eta - My Tracfone costs me $80 a year. I buy 90-days worth of 360 minutes at a time and that calculates to $80 for an entire year. They carry over and I'm signed into autorefill.