Esteemed Contributor

the wireless network adapter

[ Edited ]

I sometimes lose internet connection and through troubleshooting learn that the wireless network adapter needs to be (and is) reset.  

Why would this be happening?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Might be router problems...age or even it's connection cable or dsl line. Interference from other wireless networks can also cause disconnection.  I've had my laptop lose connection to my network only to find out it's trying to connect to some other network. I then have to re-establish my connection back to my network. In other words, my problem is network interference from other networks.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @SilleeMee .  No other networks nearby. Modem is a year old and I guess the router is inside (no “antenna” on the outside of it). How can I tell for sure?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Try resetting your router by unplugging the power cord to it for about 10 seconds. Then plug it back in and wait for it to come back, which usually takes a couple of minutes. This will clear out some unnecessary accumulated data inside your router which may or may not interfere with it's performance. Resetting routers will also update it's software as well as refresh it's speed. You should reset your router as much as possible. It helps keep it safe from outside unwanted access...hackers. @esmerelda 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  Thanks. I’ve turned it off and back on but can see how unplugging it would be different. I’ll do that. 

Thanks for for your help. 

Keepin' it real.
Occasional Contributor

Re: the wireless network adapter

If the problem is the network adapter, then the issue is in the computer, not the router. Your network adapter is what the computer uses to connect to the router. Could be going bad, but they ususally don't. How old is the laptop?