Esteemed Contributor

multiple Apple devices w/same ID needed verification code

Yesterday I got more than 50 messages on my iPhone about somebody trying to use my iPad in another city.  To authorize use, enter a six-digit number that was sent to my phone on the iPad.  

Here's what was happening:  My Apple ID is used on the iPad minis and my iPhone (one ID for multiple devices).  I was at work and husband was at home trying to use the iPad minis, but they would lock up saying he needed a verification code (which was flashing up on my phone after I clicked "allow" use on the iPads).  I texted and called him with verification codes, but after 5 minutes of use, he'd get locked out again and need new codes.  When I got home, we figured it would go back to normal because all devices were in same room on same WiFi, but the messages kept coming, requiring us to authorize iPad use on my iPhone and enter the codes on the iPads.

I called Apple support and she said it's been happening all day to Apple users across the country.  Her first suggestion was to lower my security settings, but I said I don't want to do that.  (Son's iPhone was stolen last year and we never did find it yet the people who have it periodically call me on my phone even though it's supposedly been erased, so I've already seen how limited the security is even though it had a passcode on it.)

Then she suggested I just log out of my Apple ID on all devices then log back in.  That seems to have worked as we haven't had the authentication messages since then.  Just thought I'd share in case you experienced it too.  

I also showed DH how to log out of Apple ID in settings so that he can sync the iPad mini with his own Apple ID.  😊 That way he'll have his phone handy to enter verification codes if it happens again.

Honored Contributor

Re: multiple Apple devices w/same ID needed verification code

The only time I get a verification code request is once in awhile when I log into my icloud account through my desktop browser. I'd make sure all my devices had been updated to the latest IOS as we just got another update about a week ago. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

The only time I get a verification code request is once in awhile when I log into my icloud account through my desktop browser. I'd make sure all my devices had been updated to the latest IOS as we just got another update about a week ago. 

@jaxs mom

I was just reading that the iOS 10.3.2 update was causing a lot of people to lose a lot of battery power on their phones really, really fast.  I assume from your reply above that you have installed it--have you had any problems since?

Honored Contributor

I always install the day the update comes out. I haven't had any issues with my phone. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom

Thanks.  Good to know.

You're braver than I am to install the updates on the first day.  As a former Windows user, the hassles of Microsoft's incompetence still have me waiting a bit to see what the fallout is, if any.

Respected Contributor

Well to  be honest having multiple people use your id is a security risk. Everyone  should have their own device with own apple ID. Do you want your husband reading your private emails?

Well anyways last week someon in indoneasia tried to hack my Apple ID  and I am glad I got the notification. Somehow someone half a worl away had my password?  I was able to deny access on my cell phone thank god. I changed my passcodes just to be safe. I have no idea how somone got my apple id and password