Contributor

monthly charge for amazon fire?

i bought 2 of the amazon fire tablets back when they were the todays special. i have only activated one but i am noticing a charge every month on my amazon account for $4.99. it says it is for digital service. am i missing something or did i do something wrong when i activated the tablet? i do not ever remember hearing in the presentation that there would be a monthly charge from amazon. shoot, that's $60 a year, just for one! not the bargain it was said to be when you add in all of these monthly charges. can someone help me here before i decide to activate the second tablet? did i do something wrong or is this a charge that everyone must pay? btw, it is just for a 4 year old and she only watches cartoons and plays games. no internet or facebook....just kids stuff.

Valued Contributor

Re: monthly charge for amazon fire?

@horsecrazylady - I have 3 Fires (different sizes) and do not pay any type of monthly fee.  I suspect you may have accidently signed up for something you did not mean to when you activated your device.  Maybe you can go to your account and look at apps or services or subscriptions and see what is there?  I am sure others may have some ideas.  

Honored Contributor

@horsecrazylady.  Why don't you call Amazon and ask them wht the charge is for?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Since you mentioned a 4 year old, you may have signed up for Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.  It costs $4.99 for a single child per month for non-Prime members.  

It's a book/movie service for children.

Amazon FreeTime Unlimited is an all-in-one subscription for kids that offers unlimited access to thousands of kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call Amazon to verify the charge, then ask them to turn off the service or walk you through turning it off.  Since you didn't know you were signed up, I'd probably ask for the fee to be waived.  There are no charges associated with a kindle, unless you add extras like books and not have a prime membership.

Contributor

thank you. i bet this is what i did without knowing it.

Honored Contributor

I never take advantage of the”free trial” offers, as I think you have to give a credit card number which they then charge you after the trial offer ends. I don’t want to take a chance I’l forget to cancel it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no charge to own a tablet. Sounds like you signed up  for something by accident. You should be able to find what it is on your amazon account  under "membership and subscriptions" BUT there was a holiday promotion of $4.99 a month on an audible subscribtion  so I would look into that too

I accidentally signed up for a music service and Amaon refuses to refund my credit card claiming they cant do it. I had to take a store credit. I am really ****** off at this

Honored Contributor

That's a question for Amazon.  They have a terrific cs department.  You have the option of putting in your phone number and someone calls you back within an hour, usually less.  It's possible that you enrolled for something accidentally.  I Have 2 Fire tablets, my sisters have them.  Almost everyone I know has one and I never heard of anyone being charged a monthly fee.