Honored Contributor

Is it safe to install macOS Catalina now? Does it change a lot of things? I know there were a lot of bugs when it came out late last year so I didn't install it.  I'd appreciate your advice.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a new computer this year that had Catalina in it.  No problems.  There was an update yesterday.  I know I have had at least one other earlier this year.  I have updated my macbooks' system in the past with no problem,  I have an older macbook that I have not updated and it is glitchy.  I just need to get around to it.  System updates are the blessing from Macs.  I used to have PCs, and they used to stop working properly every 3 years like clockwork.  Love my macbooks!

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

Safe?  Yes.  I don't upgrade an OS until version 3.  And when I do, I always do the Combo upgrades.  Catalina is now up to v7.

The only glitch I had w/v7 was that after the installation all my customizations went back to default. icon_exclaim.gifI notified Apple's Feedback.

If you want to know "what's new" suggest you visit Apple, OXDaily &/or MacWorld websites to read up about Catalina.  The latter 2 will give you the real 411.

@NYCLatinaMe  "There was an update yesterday." confused.gif

Care to share what that was?  I checked......

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at Sat, Oct 17, 2020-7.21.43 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Catalina is the current OS.  It's been around for a long time.  I'm currently on version 10.15.7.  There's supposed to be a completely new OS coming out soon called Big Sur.  You can preview it on the Apple website.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Is it safe to install macOS Catalina now? Does it change a lot of things? I know there were a lot of bugs when it came out late last year so I didn't install it.  I'd appreciate your advice.

I bought a new computer with Catilina installed.  Most of my old games and software programs aren't compatible.  Thank goodness I have a Macbook Pro with an older OS installed. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your input.  I have the new version pending and will update today.

Respected Contributor

My Macbook Air is still running El Capitan.  I suppose I should upgrade?  Not sure how since I am not a techi and have never done this!!!

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

My Macbook Air is still running El Capitan.  I suppose I should upgrade?

That decision is totally up to you.  There are things you have to do prior to updateing an OS as far behind as yours.  It really depends on which version of El Capitan you have & which model MA you have.

Read up on Catalina to determine if that OS is for you.  Also, you will need to determine if your current 3rd party (non-Apple) apps on your comp will be compatable w/Catalina and/or you you need to upgrade or update those "3rd party" apps. 32 bit apps are not compatible w/Catalina.  You can check your System Report to see all the 32 bit apps you currently have.

Finder>Apple Icon (upper left corner)>About This Mac>System Report>Software>Applications

The section on the right may go blank for a moment. This is because your Mac is compiling a list of software on your Mac. When the window appears, it will have two sections. The top section is the list of software. The bottom section shows more details about an item if you click on it in the list.

high sierra system report apps 64 bit 

If you click and hold the dot in the divider between the two sections, you can resize the window so you can see more of the list, or more of the details.

In the list, there is a column called “64-Bit (Intel)” that is located to the far right of the top row. If you don’t see it, try expanding the window by clicking and dragging the right edge, or you can scroll the window to the right. Once you see the 64-bit (Intel) column, you can click, hold, and drag it to the left to reposition it closer to the app names.

Now you can see if a particular app on you Mac is 64-bit or not. If it’s listed as Yes, it’s 64-bit. If it’s No, it’s a 32-bit app, and you need to upgrade it before using macOS 10.15.

Not sure how since I am not a techi and have never done this!!!

It may appear info overload but, it is quite easy/simple.  Apple's website has detailed instructions regarding upgrading.  You should start your research there or on their YouTube "Support" website.  Also, Apple's built in "Help" feature on your Mac's upper menu bar.

Other Resources:  OXDaily & MacWorld websites.

If still interesting in upgrading.......Post back after you have done all of the above & below.  I will try to help you further.

View this site to determine your software Catalina compatibality:  https://roaringapps.com/apps

Is your Macbook Air "model" Catilina compatible?

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at Mon, Oct 19, 2020-4.56.28 PM.png

Your Mac provides several tools to help you identify it. The simplest is About This Mac, available by choosing About This Mac from the Apple () menu in the upper-left corner of your screen.

@bargainsgirl 

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

THanks!  This is why I will have someone else do it for me!

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

THanks!  This is why I will have someone else do it for me!

I've posted this once and I'll post it again.  Before ou update, check and see if your programs are compatible.  Most of my programs and games won't run using Catlina.