Respected Contributor

iTunes no longer opening on Windows 11

[ Edited ]

I was trying to backup my iPads to the iTunes app and it will not open? I always used this before. 
I have always backed them up. I use iCloud only on one of my IPads.

Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: iTunes no longer opening on Windows 11

[ Edited ]

@MKR14  Your question is a little confusing.  

If you are trying to back up your ipad to a windows computer, I found an app that links ipad to a PC running Windows.  Maybe that works.  I have never used it myself so I don't know if it works, but you can take a look.  It's called "Link to Windows" in the App store.  It's by Microsoft.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

It says it can link your phone to see calls on the Windows. I saw something about a Music App they are using instead of iTunes.

Always something. I like I out but I don't want to pay every month after the initial 5gb they give you.

Thank you for showing me this link. I don't use my cell much so I won't pair it though.

Esteemed Contributor

The Music App that came with my iphone and macbook and I assume is available on your ipad is where the music I purchased in itunes is stored.  I have never used itunes for back-up, but just so you know, itunes lives within the Music App.  I don't know if it offers the same functionality that you are looking for.  I don't pay for the Music app, but everytime I open the app it pushes its subscription service that I have never enrolled in.  If I want to buy music, I click on the iTunes store inside the Music app, and can do so.  I use icloud for back-up and that is only 99 cents a month for 50 gigabytes of storage.  That is enough for me right now,

Not sure if I am helping because I am unclear on what you are trying to achieve.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14,

I don't use Windows PCs, but I used to back up my iPads and iPhone to iTunes on my older Mac desktop with an older operating system so I understand the process you use.

On Apple computers, starting with the more recent macOS versions, the process changed.

iTunes was separated out into Apple Music, Apple TV, Apple Books, and Apple Podcasts.

The backup process for our mobile devices was moved to the Finder app, and that's what I use with my newer Mac Mini.

That's not the case for non-Apple computers, though. 

PCs still use iTunes, at least according to the support articles.

Questions:

Are you saying you do have the iTunes app, but you cannot get it to open at all?  No response when you try to launch/open it?

(If that's the case, it sounds like you have a glitchy bug in the iTunes app that might need to be resolved perhaps with an update or a reinstall.)

Do you have the most recent version of iTunes?

I looked online and Apple still supports iTunes for Windows 11.

They still have the usual instructions for using iTunes:

(for the current version of iPadOS 17.x and the current version of iTunes for the PC):

"Back up iPad using your Windows PC
1.   Connect iPad and your computer with a cable.
2.   In the iTunes app on your PC, click the iPad button near the top left of the iTunes window.
3.   Click Summary.
4.   Click Back Up Now (below Backups).
5.   To encrypt your backups, select “Encrypt local backup,” type a password, then click Set Password.
To see the backups stored on your computer, choose Edit > Preferences, then click Devices. Encrypted backups have a lock icon in the list of backups."

This indicates to me that you don't need a 3rd-party app or any other additions...  just the usual iTunes app for your PC.

I no longer post any live hyperlinks to anything

since most links aren't allowed and we end up losing a post

or even a thread, but you can find these instructions

by searching for 

"Back up iPad using your Windows PC" 

which will direct you to

"Back up iPad" on the Apple Support iPad User Guide.

I'm sorry you're having problems -- I know how frustrating it can be.  I hope you find a good and quick solution to this.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks DooBoo.

The iTunes app would not open or do anything when I tried to open. It worked last month when I opened it. I have always clicked on it on the right side and it picked my iPad to backup.

I will checkout reinstalling the iTunes app.

I did all the updates on Windows 11 a few days ago and found my HP ENVY-114 12 year old printer Firmware. The laptop went through 3 runs of the BIOS and restarted each time. When it came up the third time my printer works great. It was working but whenI found the newest Firmware I took a chance installing it. If not I would have just reinstalled it as it was working fine before the update.

I will reread your reply tomorrow as I do it.

Many thanks for the detailed answer.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you! I got the newest iTunes for Windows 11 and an update on that also. I backed up my 8th gen and 9th gen iPads on it.
I had to do an update for the iTunes app also after I installed it. 

I am going to buy the new 10th gen iPad and give my iPad 8 to my grown daughter. She has an older model so she is happy to have me give it to her.

When I turn my HP laptop off,  it said to turn off the internet and the backlit keyboard to save battery power. It helps.

Thanks again. Now I am happy again.