Respected Contributor

IPods have gone the way of cassette tapes and CD players. I'm sure Apple's economists declared them to be a money loser hence they were discontinued.

Trusted Contributor

I have a nasty habit of washing my iPods. After I washed my third one and then heard they were going to be discontinued, I bought two. Using one now for when I'm walking and I've put the second one away to keep until it's needed. I also plug it into the home stereo and listen to my iPod instead of CDs or the radio while doing housework or cooking.

But they're really small and I forget that I have my iPod in my shorts when I'm on the treadmill. And then on laundry day, there it goes. The last time I not only washed my iPod, but also my ear buds; the ear buds were OK; the iPod was not. (Sticking the poor thing in a bowl of rice has never, ever worked for me.)

*Knock on wood* My current iPod has lasted me now for more than a year. 

Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

I have a nasty habit of washing my iPods. After I washed my third one and then heard they were going to be discontinued, I bought two. Using one now for when I'm walking and I've put the second one away to keep until it's needed. I also plug it into the home stereo and listen to my iPod instead of CDs or the radio while doing housework or cooking.

But they're really small and I forget that I have my iPod in my shorts when I'm on the treadmill. And then on laundry day, there it goes. The last time I not only washed my iPod, but also my ear buds; the ear buds were OK; the iPod was not. (Sticking the poor thing in a bowl of rice has never, ever worked for me.)

*Knock on wood* My current iPod has lasted me now for more than a year. 

I got a VERY EARLY Timex battery powered Watch as a gift about 40 years ago, loved it and washed it in a pair of jeans, and found the remains in the dryer filter. Not pretty. Some of the FitBit Smart Watches and the Apple Watch can provide walking and exercise music, but you can get 6 or 7 iPods for the price (if you can find them).

Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

I got a VERY EARLY Timex battery powered Watch as a gift about 40 years ago, loved it and washed it in a pair of jeans, and found the remains in the dryer filter. Not pretty. Some of the FitBit Smart Watches and the Apple Watch can provide walking and exercise music, but you can get 6 or 7 iPods for the price (if you can find them).

I have a FitBit Blaze and can sync music from my phone to the Blaze, but haven't done so because I really like my iPod. I'm not sure, but I think I need my phone with me, along with the Blaze to be able to play music from the Blaze. I have no music on my phone; again there was no need because I always now have an extra iPod on hand for "laundry" days. My phone is a very old Droid Turbo....I'm going to upgrade to the Apple X later on this spring and maybe I'll put music on that phone. (My DH has an Apple X and he lovesit.) But for now, I'll just keep using the iPod and praying that I don't wash it! I also play the iPod in the car rather than listening to radio as well as I connect it to the house stereo system; I'd be lost with my little iPod.