Honored Contributor

Re: iPad: problems when playing games?

@meem120: Thank you. I tried both suggestions and that cleared up the extra running stuff or background . The games still stop and display the blank screen. I only have 10 apps installed in addition to the factory installed ones. SouthernBee

Valued Contributor

Do you have an iOS update that wants to install, or has it been awhile since you installed an update?  I've noticed that when there is one due, my ipad or iphone will start messing up or doing weird things until I finally go ahead with the update.  

Sorry you are having this problem.  Whenever I have had a game stop working or freeze up repeatedly, I will delete it & reinstall it.  Usually that fixes the problem.  I hope it does for you, but it is possible that an older model is just getting past it's prime and Isn't going to work as efficiently anymore. 

Good luck, hope you find something that helps you get past this problem!  I enjoy the games you mentioned, and still find myself playing Plants v.s. Zombies way too much, lol.  I also will play Township sometimes. I also love cooking games such as Cooking Fever, which can get pretty addicting, lol.  I would like to find some new game apps, but don't know of any good ones to try.  

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Serenity-Now: Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the reboot again and then 

deleted all the games and decided to wait a few days to reinstall. You and someone on the Apple support group suggested past its prime😢!!! I hope not. I cannot afford another iPad at this time. Southern Bee

edited- I have completed all the iOS updates.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Serenity-Now: Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the reboot again and then 

deleted all the games and decided to wait a few days to reinstall. You and someone on the Apple support group suggested past its prime😢!!! I hope not. I cannot afford another iPad at this time. Southern Bee

edited- I have completed all the iOS updates.

Sometimes rebooting isn't enough.  Have you tried a hard shutdown or power down?  Press the on/off button plus the home button until you see the message about power off.  Let it set for a minute then power back on by holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo. 

Many times a complete reset to factory specs will provide years of life to an old device.  That includes iPad as well as computers.  You will need to perform a backup prior which is NOT difficult to do.  I've done this to my iPad and it's easy.  Much easier than doing a Windows computer.  There are multiple sites with step-by-step instructions plus videos at YouTube.  If you can't afford a new device, try a reset and see if it gives you years of additional use. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613: Thank you for the information. I will keep this in my notes and see if I can learn how to do this. Ok: I am addicted to my iPad and games. I am a caregiver to DH, when I need a break  I take 5 to 10 minutes  to search the boards or play a game. This morning installed a game and had no problems but the game started back on level one but I was frustrated and stuck on level 303. Very thankful that problem solved. 

I truly appreciate everyones help!!!  Wonderful group.SouthernBee

Honored Contributor

@Serenity-Now wrote:

Do you have an iOS update that wants to install, or has it been awhile since you installed an update?  I've noticed that when there is one due, my ipad or iphone will start messing up or doing weird things until I finally go ahead with the update.  

Sorry you are having this problem.  Whenever I have had a game stop working or freeze up repeatedly, I will delete it & reinstall it.  Usually that fixes the problem.  I hope it does for you, but it is possible that an older model is just getting past it's prime and Isn't going to work as efficiently anymore. 

Good luck, hope you find something that helps you get past this problem!  I enjoy the games you mentioned, and still find myself playing Plants v.s. Zombies way too much, lol.  I also will play Township sometimes. I also love cooking games such as Cooking Fever, which can get pretty addicting, lol.  I would like to find some new game apps, but don't know of any good ones to try.  

I've noticed that too!

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@glb613: Thank you for the information. I will keep this in my notes and see if I can learn how to do this. Ok: I am addicted to my iPad and games. I am a caregiver to DH, when I need a break  I take 5 to 10 minutes  to search the boards or play a game. This morning installed a game and had no problems but the game started back on level one but I was frustrated and stuck on level 303. Very thankful that problem solved. 

@SouthernBee, You've received great advice from all the helpful posters here.   Be sure you perform a sync/backup on a regular basis to clear out "junk" on the device, and if that doesn't help I think @glb613's suggestion to backup and then reset/erase and then restore is a good idea.    I wanted to add that with an older device the compatibility with some apps will wane and that might be what you're seeing now.    Unfortunately, as you discovered, some of the app developers aren't helpful when you try contacting them with your concerns...  you might look to see if they have a Facebook page, and you could ask the users of the apps if they've had similar problems.    If you do decide to consider a newer model, the refurbished devices on Apple.com are well worth a look.    Best wishes to you, and my prayers and good thoughts to you and your DH.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@SouthernBee, You've received great advice from all the helpful posters here.   Be sure you perform a sync/backup on a regular basis to clear out "junk" on the device, and if that doesn't help I think @glb613's suggestion to backup and then reset/erase and then restore is a good idea.    I wanted to add that with an older device the compatibility with some apps will wane and that might be what you're seeing now.    Unfortunately, as you discovered, some of the app developers aren't helpful when you try contacting them with your concerns...  you might look to see if they have a Facebook page, and you could ask the users of the apps if they've had similar problems.    If you do decide to consider a newer model, the refurbished devices on Apple.com are well worth a look.    Best wishes to you, and my prayers and good thoughts to you and your DH.❤️

Thanks.  I know I post this suggestion often because it really works.  It gives old devices years of additional use and make the device run like new.  Doing a factory reset or restore on an iPad or iPhone is really easy.  It's also easy to do the same on a iMac or MacBook.  You make a backup, reset then restore from a backup.  Everything is there except the problems.  The exception would be if a new OS has made an app or program incompatible. 

Windows computers not so much.  The restore itself is easy.  Most, if not all, Windows computers have a recovery partition you use.  As with an Apple devices, you must make a backup or save everything to the cloud or external hard drive before proceeding. I'm not sure if you have the option of restoring from a backup or you still need to manually reinstall everything.  Plus, I don't know if restoring from a backup will restore all of your problems.  I've always done the manual reinstall and it is time consuming. 

With that being said, it's worth doing to either brand of devices if you are having problems with slowness, error messages, locking up, or if your device is more than 3 years old and you don't want to spend the money for a new one.