Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions and experience.

For this purchase, I may venture away from Apple.  That will make my husband very happy.  While out of curiosity and challenge he is willing to tinker when my MacBooks have problems; but he definitely no fan of Apple.

I will still have my Macbook Pro(s) available, but they both are old and starting to have little annoying issues.

@Allegheny

JMH0,

You will not be happy with a Windows 10 computer. I only buy Alienware computers. 

I suggest you look at Dell XPS laptop.

These products cost the same as an Apple MacBook Air. 

Quality built computers cost $$$$.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny 

I have the newest version of the iPad Pro, 12.9".  I ❤️❤️❤️ mine!  I love airplay, the quality of videos, the volume goes so loud that my older iPads just don't compare.  I could go on & on, but my dryer is fixing to go DING, so I gotta' run.  I say buy one, you won't regret it!

I did buy the Logitech keyboard case because it lights up; whereas the Apple keyboard doesn't.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Allegheny

JMH0,

You will not be happy with a Windows 10 computer. I only buy Alienware computers. 

I suggest you look at Dell XPS laptop.

These products cost the same as an Apple MacBook Air. 

Quality built computers cost $$$$

Thank you. You may be right about Windows 10.  i will also look into that.   Cost is not a factor.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Anyone have one and do you like it?   If I get one to replace my MacBook Pro may I regret my decision?   I currently utilize my MacBook for web browsing, email, just basic stuff.  Though using my laptop for 9 years, I still struggle understanding Mac's way of doing things.  i have considered going back to a PC, but will have a big readjustment doing so.  Plus having an iPhone and Apple Watch kind of tips the scale to purchase another Apple product.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and it's great.  I won't buy another tablet because I don't like mobile websites. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and it's great.  I won't buy another tablet because I don't like mobile websites. 

@glb613   What are mobile websites?

I have two 13" MacBook Pros.  They have served me well.  Both are 2011 models, however bought new at different times.  Ironically (after warranty of course) the track pads on both stopped working.  I've adapted by using a wireless mouse.  

Then last week, the newer of the two just slowed to a crawl and kept rebooting.   Major issues, corrupt files, who knows.  But my DH who is not a lover of Apple was able after hours on end got it back operating by removing Catalina and using my back up and Time Machine.  On the older machine the left shift quit working.  What a pain.

Anyway that is my 'sob' story and why I am considering looking at something different, more portable, etc.  Between myself and DH, there are his two tablets, a full size laptop and my two MacBooks.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@glb613   What are mobile websites?

I have two 13" MacBook Pros.  They have served me well.  Both are 2011 models, however bought new at different times.  Ironically (after warranty of course) the track pads on both stopped working.  I've adapted by using a wireless mouse.  

Then last week, the newer of the two just slowed to a crawl and kept rebooting.   Major issues, corrupt files, who knows.  But my DH who is not a lover of Apple was able after hours on end got it back operating by removing Catalina and using my back up and Time Machine.  On the older machine the left shift quit working.  What a pain.

Anyway that is my 'sob' story and why I am considering looking at something different, more portable, etc.  Between myself and DH, there are his two tablets, a full size laptop and my two MacBooks.

Mobile websites are scaled down versions of the regular website to reduce data useage.  I bet if you restored your computers back to factory specs, a lot of your problems will be fixed. 

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Anyone have one and do you like it?   If I get one to replace my MacBook Pro may I regret my decision?   I currently utilize my MacBook for web browsing, email, just basic stuff.  Though using my laptop for 9 years, I still struggle understanding Mac's way of doing things.  i have considered going back to a PC, but will have a big readjustment doing so.  Plus having an iPhone and Apple Watch kind of tips the scale to purchase another Apple product.

@Allegheny I thought I was going to buy an iPad Pro. It was very expensive, so I looked at the new iPad Air that had just come out when I bought it in November of last year. It is the sweet spot of iPads, better than just an iPad, less than an iPad Pro. For what I use it for emails, surfing the web, shopping, playing games, it suits my needs.

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

Honestly, there's not that much of a difference from one OS to the other these days. You point, you click, stuff happens. Software and apps tend to work identically on both major OS's. Once you're into the software/app you often can't even tell what OS you're using. Since you have the iPhone and Apple Watch staying in the Apple family isn't a bad idea, but for the uses you mention, you might also want to consider a Chromebook. Web browsing, email, and basic stuff is what they excel at.

I bought a 15.6" Acer Chromebook a few months ago and it converts into a tablet (a very large and heavy tablet) but also has a nice backlit keyboard,  touchscreen, Gorilla Glass trackpad, and only cost $329 when I got it. (On sale from $399.) It's very easy to use, has impressive battery life (10+ hours or so they say.) Is virus-proof. They're insanely easy to use. Many, maybe most schools have switched to using Chromebooks for their students. It's one more option for you to consider.

For the uses you specified, a Chromebook may be just what you need and they come in every size, style, color, and price range imaginable these days. They're a pretty neat little gadget.

I too love Chromebooks!  I am surprised that most of them are low priced and are automatically secure from nasty things like viruses.  A store clerk told me( before I bought my first Chrome) that I would not like it because Chrome does not have all the stuff that a pc has, BUT that was not my case.  Very user friendly.  

Honored Contributor

I LOVE my iPad Pro, 12.9 inches. 

I got it a month or so before the pandemic.  I'm an Apple girl though. Mac, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny 

I could have written your post.  In fact, I looked to see if I had written it.   I feel the same way.  I have a macbook air and it drives me crazy.   I've almost tossed it in the trash dozens of times.

I much prefer a netbook or chromebook but have an iPhone and like that when it works, everything syncs on both devices.  Right now everything is not working.  UGH.

I've had 2 Ipads before getting the macbook air and got so sick and tired of the tap tap tapping.  But, I'm about ready to ditch this and get another iPad with a keyboard.  So, I'll be following your post.  Good luck.