Honored Contributor

iPad AutoCorrect Problem

[ Edited ]

Somewhere along the line, for some unknown reason, my iPad wants to make me look bad.

If I try typing I’m going to go to sleep, this is what it insists is correct:  i’m Going to go to sleep.

Or i’m Talking to you, Sam.  

It happens within a sentence, not at the start of a sentence.

Anyone know how to correct a consistent autocorrect issue like this?  @dooBdoo?

Honored Contributor

Re: iPad AutoCorrect Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi, @tansy!   I'm wondering what iOS version you're using?   I haven't notced the problem you describe, but I have an ancient iPad and a slightly less-ancient iPhone so I'm working in the iOS 9.x and 10.x realm myself.

A quick search found this January 2018 article, which might work to knock some sense back into your device.   

If you're using iOS 11, looks like there might be a bug that hasn't been corrected yet: 

"...This appears to be a fairly widespread issue, and there are many threads (1, 2, 3, 4) on this topic on the Apple Discussion boards, suggesting that Apple should be aware of the problem, and perhaps we’ll get a resolution in a future iOS software update..."

If you read the comments, it appears the address book/contacts or keyboard dictionary solution might be the fix.   

~~~~~~           

iPhone or iPad Capitalizing Random Words? Try This Workaround

"Many users with iOS 11 are noticing that their iPad and iPhone will randomly capitalize words that were typed in the middle of sentences. For example, a sentence May look Like This with Randomly capitalized Words for No apparent reason, requiring Many manual Corrections Of what you have Typed.... "

Suggested fixes at link:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/01/30/ios-capitalizing-random-words-workaround/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, thank you so much.  It’s been a long day and i’m Heading to bed early (see 😜).

I will read your info tomorrow.  My iPad is a few years old but not ancient.

I could not figure out how to word a successful search.  

Sleep well, dooB. ❤️

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@dooBdoo, thank you so much.  It’s been a long day and i’m Heading to bed early (see 😜).

I will read your info tomorrow.  My iPad is a few years old but not ancient.

I could not figure out how to word a successful search.  

Sleep well, dooB. ❤️

You're welcome, @tansy.    Thanks, and sweet dreams!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@tansy

My iPad has been doing the same thing.  I have iOS 11.  It not only randomly capitalizes but also makes up completely different wording.  It’s aggravating.  Mine seems to do it more the longer I use it without turning it off for a while.  And it seems to be the worst on these forums.  I seem to have the most problems with the QVC site, of whatever kind.

Sometimes I appreciate auto-correct.  Other times I am at war with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just downloaded version 11.4 on my phone and iPad over the weekend. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@tansy

My iPad has been doing the same thing.  I have iOS 11.  It not only randomly capitalizes but also makes up completely different wording.  It’s aggravating.  Mine seems to do it more the longer I use it without turning it off for a while.  And it seems to be the worst on these forums.  I seem to have the most problems with the QVC site, of whatever kind.

Sometimes I appreciate auto-correct.  Other times I am at war with it.

@geezerette,  I was able to find a couple of inappropriate auto-corrects on my iPad this morning, and resetting the keyboard dictionary fixed the problem.    (Under Settings--->General--->Reset--->Reset Keyboard Dictionary)   If you have your device synced via iCloud with other devices, you might notice it will take a short while for the changes to take effect.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Somewhere along the line, for some unknown reason, my iPad wants to make me look bad.

If I try typing I’m going to go to sleep, this is what it insists is correct:  i’m Going to go to sleep.

Or i’m Talking to you, Sam.  

It happens within a sentence, not at the start of a sentence.

Anyone know how to correct a consistent autocorrect issue like this?  @dooBdoo?

I have the same problem. My iPad has a mind of it’s own. It corrects me incorrectly Smiley Happy

Right now, I can not write the word u   s, with the letters close together or I get U.S. See, it did it again. This is just one of hundreds of examples. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I just downloaded version 11.4 on my phone and iPad over the weekend. 

I downloaded that update on my iPad this morning but I’m still having the same problem. 🙁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D and @tansy,  Did you reset the keyboard dictionary as described in my earlier reply?  I finally was able to duplicate the problem on my devices, and resetting the keyboard dictionary was a quick, easy fix.