Trusted Contributor

I updated my iPod Touch (newest generation) and it went fine.  I didn't notice too many changes.  I wondered if there would be new emojis, but I guess that will be in the next big update.  I will probably wait a bit of time to install that one.  I tend to do that when the big updates roll out.  For the smaller in-between updates, I usually don't wait too long.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

I always update as soon as a new version is released.  (I understand why many people choose to wait, by the way.)    It's on my iPhone 5 (my iPad 3 has aged out of updates, sad to say).   No problems, and I think you'll find it frees up some storage and might work more efficiently.

Two articles, the first one an in-depth look at 10.3, the second one a brief update:

"A tour of iOS 10.3: Checking out APFS, the Settings app, and other tweaks"

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/03/a-tour-of-ios-10-3-checking-out-apfs-the-settings-app-and-othe...

"iOS 10.3.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad"

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/04/ios-10-3-1-includes-bug-fixes-and-improves-the-security-of-you...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I updated my 6+ last week with no problems.  I don't think I needed to but it drives me crazy to look at the little one on the settings icon so I just do it.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I updated my 6+ last week with no problems.  I don't think I needed to but it drives me crazy to look at the little one on the settings icon so I just do it.

I thought I was the only one who thought this!😀

Esteemed Contributor

I had no problem updating on my Ipad2 3..

Honored Contributor

Re: iOS 10.3.1 update

[ Edited ]

I just checked my iPad & it shows your software is up to date iOS 9.3.5

Why it the iOS 10.3.1 not showing up on my iPad??????

I guess the update will not work on 2nd & 3rd generation iPads so I'm SOL since mine is 3rd generation. Guess I will have to use it as is.

Honored Contributor

Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz,  That means your iPad is an older device that no longer will be compatible with new iOS updates.   Each time a new version of the iOS is released, they list the devices which can and cannot be updated.   I use an iPad 3, and it's too old for the new software so my version is 9.3.5, also.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz,  That means your iPad is an older device that no longer will be compatible with new iOS updates.   Each time a new version of the iOS is released, they list the devices which can and cannot be updated.   I use an iPad 3, and it's too old for the new software so my version is 9.3.5, also.

@dooBdoo How long will I be able to use this iPad without future updates? I don't know if I want to buy another one at the moment. I basically play games on it at night & take with me when we travel. Since I had an anxiety attack in the car last time we went to Fl I don't know if I will be able to do that again or not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nightowlz wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

Nightowlz wrote:

@dooBdoo How long will I be able to use this iPad without future updates? I don't know if I want to buy another one at the moment. I basically play games on it at night & take with me when we travel. Since I had an anxiety attack in the car last time we went to Fl I don't know if I will be able to do that again or not.

@Nightowlz,  You can use the device as long as it works for you...  but keep in mind you'll be missing out on security software updates, so even using secure connections it would be good to keep that in mind depending on how you use the device.   Also, little by little you'll see things like apps that no longer work well and can't be updated, browser web pages not loading well, that sort of thing.   I wouldn't worry about using it for games...  not at all.    I know people who still use the original iPad and all models since that one, but of course the really old devices tend to be glitchy and fussy at this point.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Nightowlz,  You can use the device as long as it works for you...  but keep in mind you'll be missing out on security software updates, so even using secure connections it would be good to keep that in mind depending on how you use the device.   Also, little by little you'll see things like apps that no longer work well and can't be updated, browser web pages not loading well, that sort of thing.   I wouldn't worry about using it for games...  not at all.    I know people who still use the original iPad and all models since that one, but of course the really old devices tend to be glitchy and fussy at this point.

@dooBdoo Ok Thx. Guess I won't be using it for shopping. I used it 1 yr black friday shopping at my sisters house. Everyone was still sleeping when I got up went into the bathroom & started shopping on my iPad. LOL!!! Think when I buy another one I may try the mini since I don't really use it a lot.