Respected Contributor

I'm seriously considering getting a dash cam. Does any one have one, they would recommend? One for back and front of car?

do you have any good/bad experiences with one. I'm 72 and don't want too complicated. thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: dash cam recommendations?

I do not have one but thinking of getting it.  My son was involved in an accident which was clearly the fault of other driver.  However, that driver denied it.  My son had a dash cam ....saved the day for him!  He showed video to police officer who quickly issued ticket to other driver.  Then the other driver and insurance company went to court over incident.  They lost!  Win-Win for my son thanks to Dash Cam.  I believe he said his is Garmin purchased on Amazon.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm so glad you posted this as I am interested in getting one.  Me and the hubbie know very little about these gadgets and are looking forward to any recommendations too 

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds interesting. Now I want one...

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Nobody needs such a thing in their car.  All the electronic devices are silly and prone to expensive repairs.  Get me from point A to B.  Been driving since the 1950s and never needed phones in cars.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

Nobody needs such a thing in their car.  All the electronic devices are silly and prone to expensive repairs.  Get me from point A to B.  Been driving since the 1950s and never needed phones in cars.

Don't you participate on social media with an electronic device? Is it something that you need?

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@Reever 

Might want to read the earlier post by 

@walker. I am not much into electronics when it comes to the Mobile type. But the electronics in my homes? Been deep into them since the early 1950's.

If I were driving any more than I am in the present, I will consider a dash cam. Right now my vehicle is parked in the garage. If you don't have to park on the street at your home! If you drive much, one generally has to park somewhere when it comes to public parking.

Since the 1950's, also when i started driving, people have been known to hit parked cars, and drive away. And nowadays much more often, and even worse things.  Just sayin!

hckynut 🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't have a dash cam but this conversation has me thinking.  This may be a dumb question but here goes:  Is the cam on all the time or just when you're driving?

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr 

I believe it can depend on the camera and how it is wired. I have seen presentations where you can have them start when you start your vehicle. And also others that can be manually turned on and off, probably have both options, depending on the camera, and how it is connected.

Never had one, just basing this on presentations I have seen over the years.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

------------

Excuse me, but YOU DO NOT tell me or others what I need or don't need.