Honored Contributor

Re: dash cam recommendations?

@10sluvr - DH also has one by Garmin. His doesn't record unless the car is on. 

Even though his Mazda SUV has a built-in navigation system, we gave him this as a gift. He has it mounted under the mirror, and we have found it's a lot more reliable than the built-in systems!  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Re: dash cam recommendations?

Husband and I both have them in our vehicles.   We live in Florida and as of late the drivers here are insane 😁.  I know I sound like a crazy lady but every night in the news we hear about hit and runs, head on collisions, cars racing in and out of traffic and road rage. The road rage is the one that scares me the most.   We got them as a way to protect ourselves in case of an accident.  

Ours are made by Blackvue.  They were not cheap, but they weren't crazy expensive either.  They record when the car starts.  I have mine set to go into parking mode when I park at the store for example.  It will record for a designated amount of time after I park to capture any activity near my car.  It also starts recording  if it detects impact while parked.  

it uses an SD card to record the driving episodes.  If I want to save one I can upload it to their cloud server.   When the SIM card is full it just records over the oldest driving event and keeps going from there.  

it is small/compact and is mounted somewhat by my rear view mirror on the windshield.  I don't notice it and it does a great job of recording both audio if I want it and video.  

I would recommend doing your research and look for something that is small so it doesn't distract you.  You don't want it leaving a huge footprint on your windshield.  

Mine is a one channel which means it records just front up to 180 degrees side to side.  There are also 2 channel which record rear view.   I just didn't want to have all that wiring running thru my car so I choose one channel.  

They can be installed by you or hubby if you are handy or they can be installed by service shops, you would have to call around to see costs.  

They serve a purpose and can give you peace of mind and also come in handy if you witness something happen to another driver.  In spite of other posters deciding for me what II may need or not need, I think they are a great idea and can really be beneficial in the unlikely event something happens to you while driving.  

I love mine and I highly recommend them !