Honored Contributor

buying the latest electronics

Why is it that the next i phone ,i pad any device comes out ,people buy,rather than keeping what they have?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: buying the latest electronics

My guess is that some folks are just wired to want the bragging rights for the latest and greatest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good question.

I think the younger generation( the 20 somethings etc) is more of the I WANT IT NOW! generation... they think mostly for the moment... and not for what is ahead.

I am 62... I had to learn to  use  technology... I did not grow up thinking a phone was required to survive... nor a computer... the Internet... nor a 75 inch flat screen TV. I do not waste money.. I like to save money for a rainy day.... Having the newest and the greatest is last on my agenda.

I use something until it wears out...  I could care less if something new has come out. My car is 18 years old... runs great and looks good.  Nothing fancy in it... That is why I love it so much!

The world is going to be SO DIFFERENT in the next 30 years.... I am the  last of the Mohican's..... a dinosaur....   going extinct.... and I am glad!

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why is it that the next i phone ,i pad any device comes out ,people buy,rather than keeping what they have?

Maybe because the device they have is old and not working properly? My device is working fine after a long time, but when it dies, I will buy new.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good question.

I think the younger generation( the 20 somethings etc) is more of the I WANT IT NOW! generation... they think mostly for the moment... and not for what is ahead.

I am 62... I had to learn to  use  technology... I did not grow up thinking a phone was required to survive... nor a computer... the Internet... nor a 75 inch flat screen TV. I do not waste money.. I like to save money for a rainy day.... Having the newest and the greatest is last on my agenda.

I use something until it wears out...  I could care less if something new has come out. My car is 18 years old... runs great and looks good.  Nothing fancy in it... That is why I love it so much!

The world is going to be SO DIFFERENT in the next 30 years.... I am the  last of the Mohican's..... a dinosaur....   going extinct.... and I am glad!

@SeaMaiden

Another Mohican here!  👋

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good question.

I hear you, my car is a year 2000, i pray it last me  every day, i just don't get why  a person needs a new i phone ,tablet every time a new one comes out.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Good question.

@SeaMaiden

Another Mohican here!  👋

I’m also 62 but love technology. I’ve worked with computers since I was in my 20’s and I like gadgets. I bought the latest iPad Pro 2 the day it was released. My old one was having issues so I waited for a new one. As for the $1000 iPhone, I’m not in a hurry for it because my iPhone 7 is fine and it’s expensive. I think the features that are in the iPhone X today will be standard in future releases. I also have a friends in their 70’s that buy the latest and greatest. It’s not an age thing. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  @geezerette    I guess the young think we are SO OLD huh?   I do not feel old.... But  not having had children or grand children, I have not  been around the new generation at all and I know I am really out of touch with them and their views on technology and the world.   Their way is the new way... and I accept that.  But it is just so hard for me to really understand their new world.  I do my best to stay intouch.. but, I will never really understand them. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It's not just the young who clamor for the newest iphone. Back in the day, I was an early adopter of technology: ipods, Ipads, etc. I tend to invest heavily in computers, because they're very important in my life and work.  My phone is important, because it's my only phone and I am also on the move a lot. That phone serves not only as a communication device, but also a mobile hotspot and a way to stream video or use the Internet should wifi connections, so I would invest in a more expensive phone. (not an iPhone). It has to last a couple of years. If you're just wanting talk/text, you can use any cheapie phone and it  will get the job done for many years. But not 10. Obsolescence (planned or not) plays a big part in the push for newer phones. All those apps are constantly upgrading and much like a computer with its constant updates, takes up storage and requires greater memory.

I will no longer buy the cheapest of phones for this reason. You have to pay for memory and internal storage.

Apple has incredible influence, so they can convince people to buy a new phone every year. The carriers love it and feed the frenzy with their payment plans and "jump up or iphone forever.) 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I feel the same way.  I’m sure every generation thinks that about the younger ones.  But it’s different when it’s US!😄

Somehow, the world always keeps turning despite what we may think.