Honored Contributor

I have a new MacBook Air....do Bookmarks transfer from one lap top to another?    Some of the bookmarks are not important, others are.

I did read on line on how to do it and I tried...when I opened the file on my desk top is was gobledy ******....jumbled text.....so I did not transfer to a thumb drive.....any advice?

I need to make an appointment at the genius bar at the apple store for other questions,  but I have not had the time to do it yet, I am sure they  will have the answer but thought I'd ask here, thansk!

Honored Contributor

Do a search on Apple's Knowledge Base and/or Apple's YouTube video tech support. 

Search keywords:   How to move your content to a new Mac

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: bookmarks transfer

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac...I should have done the transfer when setting up the Mac but I didn't, it would have been easier...if I get time tomorrow I will work on it, thanks!

Do BOOKMARKS transfer...I read that photos, documents, etc transfer but I do not remember reading about bookmarks....that is what I really need to move over to the new mac book

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Do BOOKMARKS transfer...I read that photos, documents, etc transfer but I do not remember reading about bookmarks....that is what I really need to move over to the new mac book

@Mom2Dogs

If you are talking about your browser(s) bookmarks then the answer is yes. Browsers are applications.

Your browser "bookmarks" are inside the browser "profile" folder.   You can transfer just the profile file if you wish.

Since I do not know how you will be transferring, I cannot advise you any further.  I am assuming you already know Macs have their own transferring methods built-in.

Just follow the instructions in the info I mentioned in my previous post.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I have a new MacBook Air....do Bookmarks transfer from one lap top to another?    Some of the bookmarks are not important, others are.

I did read on line on how to do it and I tried...when I opened the file on my desk top is was gobledy ******....jumbled text.....so I did not transfer to a thumb drive.....any advice?

I need to make an appointment at the genius bar at the apple store for other questions,  but I have not had the time to do it yet, I am sure they  will have the answer but thought I'd ask here, thansk!

I save or export my bookmarks directly through my browser.  I use Firefox and it's easy.  Select bookmarks from the menu across the top of the page, bookmarks, show all bookmarks then click on the down arrow next to the star and select backup.  Save the file to a thumb drive or the cloud.  Go to the new computer and follow the same procedure except select restore instead of backup, find the file and select it.  It's a similar procedure no matter what browser you use. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613, thank you